Man with no legs refused a mobility scooter

Actually no, it's a thread you started and I cannot find a link which actually states the facts of this topic, so the responsibility for providing a link lies with you.

If someone has no legs then they automatically qualify for higher rate mobility portion of DLA, which gives those in receipt help with getting about, whether that's to pay for a scooter, leasing a car or paying for taxis when needed. If he didn't get that DLA then he didn't fill the forms in correctly and needs to get some professional advice.

Spot on, Medusa ...... :thumbsup:

This is disgusting !! a veteran who put his life on the line for his country cannot get a motorbility scooter ?? when there are scumbags on the benefits fiddle that pootle down to the pub on their scooter then leave it outside whilst they down a few pints propping the bar up... not to mention the lard arses that go everywhere on their £1500 + scooters because they are too fat and idle to walk... :rant:

This is disgusting !! a veteran who put his life on the line for his country cannot get a motorbility scooter ?? when there are scumbags on the benefits fiddle that pootle down to the pub on their scooter then leave it outside whilst they down a few pints propping the bar up... not to mention the lard arses that go everywhere on their £1500 + scooters because they are too fat and idle to walk... :rant:

see Medusa's point, above.

Actually no, it's a thread you started and I cannot find a link which actually states the facts of this topic, so the responsibility for providing a link lies with you.

If someone has no legs then they automatically qualify for higher rate mobility portion of DLA, which gives those in receipt help with getting about, whether that's to pay for a scooter, leasing a car or paying for taxis when needed. If he didn't get that DLA then he didn't fill the forms in correctly and needs to get some professional advice.

Happy now? You've gone and killed off a perfectly good moaning sesh with a needless interjection of reason and objectivity. :rant::thumbsup:

Incidentally, further to my comment above, if this chap is an amputee, it's more than feasible that he won't be able to use a mobility scoota, as the "driver" does need some use of their legs to brace themselves as they drive, because of the centre of gravity on a scoota being higher than it is on a wheelchair.

You sort of sit "on" a scoota, whereas you sit "in" a wheelchair, so the balance is distributed differently.

:hihi:

PT,

It is, in fact, a wheelchair that Mr Booth has been denied:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derbyshire/7647287.stm

Thank you for the linky, CKG.

We don't know the full circumstances behind his being denied the wheelchair.

I know that I was not allowed an electric wheelchair through the ministry, and had to accept a manual chair because I can take a few steps, despite my condition meaning that I find it extremely difficult to self-propel (due to weakness)

I had to find the money, myself, for my powerchair, which gives me the freedom to get out and about, and get to work/ go shopping etc.

It may be that this chap is considered able to self-propel (after all, having his legs amputated does not impinge on his upper-body use).

I still support medusa's comments:- if he is an amputee, then he will qualify for the higher rate of mobility allowance (over 65's don't get DLA) and will be able to self-fund a car or chair.

There are also the ex-serviceman's charities, (If he's an ex serviceman) which I know supply "relief of need" grants for stairlifts and wheelchairs and associated equipment to them, to improve their quality of life. (eg the SSAA)

• 2 weeks later...
I have just watched the B.B.C. News and a pensioner who has lost both legs.(diabetic) So he is housebound.

Why don't take one off of these young people who 1 day you see them in town on a scooter and the next day they are walking with a stick and give it to him?

How many genuine Forum members who use a scooter agree?

I've only just found this and felt compelled to respond.

I am disgusted with your attitude, I really am. Whilst it would seem very unreasonable for the man to be denied a scooter, how do you know that 'these young people' have been given one??

I am 20 years old and have a serious condition that means one day I can walk unaided and the next I may not be able to walk at all.

Throughout my life I've had to put up with inconsiderate individuals who do not understand the disease I live with and are all too quick to assume that I am putting it on, or don't really need the aid I get.

I am currently working out some way in which I can possibly finance a scooter because I am struggling to do even the simplest things. In fact, I came across this post whilst searching for a second hand one!

I totally sympathise with the man involved, I am grateful that I do have legs and for the most part they work. But at 20 years old, I hope to soon be one of 'these young people' who are seen with varying levels of disability from day to day.

Why? Because I will pay and get a scooter and when I need to use it I will but I will still fight the fear of being judged by people like you and be mobile whenever I can. I do not see why I should remain in a chair or scooter when I can manage to walk just because someone may be judging me for walking when I can.

I suggest that while I'm doing so, you take a moment to consider the effect your judgemental comments could have on a young person who's youth and ambitions have been snatched away from them but yet they continue to attempt to stay mobile as much as possible instead of dwelling on it.

Not if he's a normal pensioner, and didn't claim DLA before he turned 65. There is no mobility component in Attendance Allowance.

However, if he is claiming a War Disablement Pension, it's a different matter, in which case he'd need to claim the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement, and/or Constant Attendance Allowance.

Archived