Where have all the white eggs gone?

White Eggs

Recently whilst watching 60's programme Randall and Hopkirk deceased on television there was a scene where Randall was preparing breakfast and he had by his side a carton of six white eggs. Some days later white eggs were to be seen on the programme On The Buses. As a lad I was told it was healthier to eat brown eggs as opposed to white ones. When I now buy eggs in the shops I see brown and some pinkish ones but was happened to the white ones? Have they got rid of a breed of hen that laid only white eggs? Is it evolution or the feed (less calcium)? or has the environment something to do with it? I also remember in the 60's seeing the occasional double yolker (brown or white eggs) but it's years since i've seen one. SERIOUS QUERY.

It's the breed of hen, some breeds lay white eggs, others lay brown ones. I don't think there's much nutritional difference.

White eggs used to be sought after & hens were bred for whiter eggs, more recently brown eggs have been in fashion.

I was given the task today of getting some white (chicken) eggs to be boiled, coloured and painted for Easter.

Little had I realised that the supemarket chains have decided that people want only brown eggs and that is all they stock on their shelves.

It is surprising that this gradual change had passed me by.

I assume that, these days, it is just a question of another additive in the chicken feed.

Off to the free-range shops tomorrow, then!

When was the last time you remember seeing a white egg?

I hadn't thought about this - but I can't myself now recall the last time I saw white eggs for sale.

However, how lovely to know the art of egg painting is still alive.

Well done cgksheff - do Faberge eggs now have a rival?

Can you buy Danish eggs in any local shops?

If I buy locally-produced eggs then they tend to be brown, but one of the shops I use gets its eggs from Denmark and they are invariably white. (They are OK for cooking - as in putting in food which requires eggs - but they don't taste as good as the brown eggs and the yolks are paler.)

Archived