The big shower debate

We're going to refit the bathroom

In this day and age, what any builder was doing constructing a house without a shower in the bathroom already is beyond me, but, there it is :rolleyes:

So...

... here's what I've got so far:

1. We need a shower
  2. We're not having a power shower as they get through too much water!
  3. We have a combi boiler (which switches off at low flow rates)
  4. Electric showers just don't look as good as a chrome mixer!

So, I'm happy to start this one from scratch

Do we:

• install a separate water heater tank (possibly even solar) so we can run a mixer effectively? (the time it takes to get hot water to the bathroom from downstairs is a nuisance, and you can't flick the water off to shampoo your hair as you have to wait for the water to run hot all over again)

• Move the boiler upstairs to reduce the whole faff and/or still have a mixer shower?

• Just have an electric one (possibly one of those neat, flush wireless ones from triton)?

• Replace the 10 year old boiler which still has plenty of life left in it (worcester bosch 24CDi)?

• do something I've not thought of?

The heat from the boiler is currently pretty much wasted, so location to the landing may have advantages, besides, there's an ensuite which would deffo benefit from having the boiler much nearer to it

No power shower?

I don't know what I did before I got one ....... It's the best thing since the wheel, antibiotics & the Adnams brewery.

I blame power showers for the increase in our water consumption!

people on tv and in the media keep trotting out 'taking a shower instead of a bath saves water' but if you put the plug in whilst taking a power shower, you'd be shocked at how much water you're getting though - and it all needs heating!

Having had the use of a thermostatic mixer whilst on holiday, I was pleased to be able to switch the water off whilst soaping (which is futile in an electric shower too - as you get the scald/freeze effect when you switch it back on), and could run the water slower - another money/resource saver you don't have the luxury of in an electric shower

• 7 months later...
you can pipe the mixer shower up straight from the hot and cold pipes as you have a combi-boiler, just chase the pipes into the wall or bring them out of the bath panel and take them up the wall, relativley simple job, glad to halp :)

I did that. Cheap and just as effective.:thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

yeah, but the issue with running a mixer off the bath pipes on a combi system is that you can't switch on and off without having to wait for the water to run hot again, and if you don't run the water above a certain rate the boiler switches itself off and you freeze!

I think we'll be looking for a smart design of electric shower - those with a glass fascia have a certain appeal

Archived