The big shower debate

We've got a shower that just runs of mains pressure, from a Combi. And it's great, and doesn't take long to get hot water from downstairs to upstairs.

And RE: shampooing your hair, get a big enclosure so you've got space to step to the side of the water flow.

if you have a shower valve runnin straight off your exsisting supllies, the flow rate should be considerably lower than running a tap, so unless your boiler cuts out every time you run a hot tap then its not a problem. As for having to run the shower before it turns hot, this shouldn't take long at all.

there are other alternatives for electric showers, if your after something a bit different and good looking, have a look at 'aqualisa' range of showers.

If it were me I would replace the ten year old boiler, as a brand new combi should be able to output enough hot water at high enough pressure to have a nice shower, and it should save money in fuel bills as it'll be more efficient.

We originally had an electric shower which was completely naff as it wasn't rated high enough to produce any decent pressure, I assume you have to pay more for one that cab heat water at mains pressure.

We got rid of that and the water tanks etc and went for a new, efficient combi which is great.

• 2 months later...
I don't quite understand the obsession with 'saving' water, to the point of switching it off whilst you shampoo??? Maybe if it's that important you could just shower less often.
Some of us have considerably more hair than others, which takes an age to shampoo and condition, rather than the five seconds some blokes cuts take

If it were me I would replace the ten year old boiler, as a brand new combi should be able to output enough hot water at high enough pressure to have a nice shower, and it should save money in fuel bills as it'll be more efficient.

We originally had an electric shower which was completely naff as it wasn't rated high enough to produce any decent pressure, I assume you have to pay more for one that cab heat water at mains pressure.

We got rid of that and the water tanks etc and went for a new, efficient combi which is great.

... the cost balance of outlaying for a new boiler vs ingoing fuel bills... how long is it going to take for that to be worthwhile?

Some of us have considerably more hair than others, which takes an age to shampoo and condition, rather than the five seconds some blokes cuts take

I've got visions of a yeti women now! :hihi:

I like to stay under the shower when I shampoo so I just lower the head so I stay warm and don't have to turn the shower off. Not very environmentally friendly but I'd have to have the heating on higher if I was to stand wet without the shower water to keep me warm :) I'm really nesh when it comes to being cold.

EDIT, I've never had any problems using a combi, I'm kind of in the same boat in the house I'm in now as I have an electric shower in the bedroom ?!? and want to move it to the bathroom, but thinking of sorting the boiler out at the same time and changing to a combi.

We installed a mains fed Worcestor combi boiler in our previous house, about 13 or 14 years ago, but I don't remember the model. It was great for showering. As both the hot and cold feeds were at mains pressure, we did not even need a thermostatic shower mixer, an ordinary mixer worked just fine. We never had a problem waiting for the hot water to get through to the bath - we ran 15mm pipes to the bath at mains pressure. This was better than tank fed water through the more normal 22mm pipes, and meant that the water got through quicker.

In our present house I fitted a power shower, as all we had was a tank fed system feeding the bath. I don't find this a problem as I always wet myself with the shower, turn it off, soap and wash, then run it again to rinse off. So I dont use much water at all. Certainly a lot less than having a bath.

Archived