Inn at Troway

bettsy0859

Went on Sunday for lunch. Had to wait a long time for everything but when the food came it was very good. Our waitress was very busy with lots of tables but was doing her best, however when our desserts were brought by another waitress (i think she may have been a manager or supervisor) she brought out the wrong flavour ice cream for one of my children. When I said it was the wrong flavour she said with a very stroppy attitude "Are you absolutely sure?" to which I replied I was and knew what my children liked. She then asked again " Are you certain as it says its right according to the ticket?"

She then stormed off into the kitchen to get the correct order.

When she came back she slammed the dessert on the table. I started to speak to her about it and she just walked off for us not to see her again. Her attitude to her job was terrible and although the food was very good I won't be returning.

We popped in to have a look to see what was on the menu [didn't eat - just looking]

Meaty meals and fish and chips are about £14 to £18

Veggie meals are £8 to £15

Sandwiches available.

the decor is lovely. Didn't notice any flies though.

The guy who showed us the menu behind the bar took the time to explain that all the meat is fresh [not frozen] and his attitude was charming.

We'll be going to try it out very soon.

Been today wish Id read this thread first . Quality of meat is very good but chips were soggy im always amazed how can chefs get chips wrong especially at that price ? We also had the fly problem it was a nuisance kept trying to settle on our meals ! Doubt we would go again plenty of other places to try . Don't think much of the decor either .

• 2 months later...
Disagree with any previous poor comments the food is british pub grub you get what it says on the tin - pie or fish and chips cooked fresh not fine dining but hearty food. the staff are friendly and if there is anything you are unhappy with or need they are happy to replace or oblige, you can try the beer or wine if undecided and they always have a table even if you have to wait (not a problem plenty of chance for extra drinks!) not a patch on the other thornbridge pub the cricket with unhelpful staff and low grade meat pie (trust me I have eaten pie at both places!)

do you work for them. sounds like it>!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

went there on saturday night, and had a perfectly acceptable meal. service was friendly, the beer was great, the food was between very good (the sea bass and the venison) to the okay (my sheffield fishcake was good, if not stellar - but then it's hard to get flavour into a big plate of deep fried stuff!). the kids portions were absurd - clearly an adult portion!

service was up and down - quick to take our orders, food was prompt, but then the plates were on the table for ages. as we were there with kids, we had to leave before we got round to ordering desserts, as it was past bedtime. when the plates were cleared, seeing that most of our daughters pasta was left, the waiter was keen to ask if there was a problem (there wasn't - it was just far too much food for a toddler!).

all round i'd recommend the place, and i'd go back - though i'd steer clear of the fish and chips - like every else i've tried in sheffield, they are a bit disappointing. didn't think it was too expensive at all - there were plenty of cheaper options on the menu in all categories. most meals are between £8 and £12, with only a couple of items on the whole menu coming in at more (10oz rib eye steak, fresh seafood selection & and a whole bake brie - all 'special' treat items).

if you pay wetherspoons prices, expect wetherspoons quality. personally, i prefer real food with real beer in a real pub.

Great place.....one of only a handful of decent pubs, that are clean, well looked after, welcoming atmosphere and excellent range of locally sourced produce.

Been there several times now, and yes, sometimes they're slow to attend, but that's only when their busy. Nothing a couple more staff wouldn't solve!

Venison (specials board) was excellent! I eat in restaurants 2-3 times a week all over the UK (away on work) and that's one of the best cooked pieces of Bambi I've ever had!

No chavs, no barfly's (permanent drunks) and good local art on the wall (Pete McKee).

moke - should def have some work up too.......

Great place to eat and drink, My wife has even taken her mother there!

Crackingly good food, superb ales... comfortable...

There's a lot to be said for clearing out old threads: circumstances change, and they certainly have since this tread started years back!

Archived