Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember going to Turn-ups for Radio Hallams first birthday. Can't think how we got tickets for this but it was by invitation only. Amen Corner were there but can't recall much more. Perhaps someone could come up with a year.

I was an original member at the club and got 4 free tickets for the first night opening when the star artist was Kathy Kirby

THE FIRST ARTIST TO APPEAR WAS MAX BYGRAVES AND TICKETS WERE NOT ISSUED FOR THIS PERFORMANCE IT WAS INVITATION ONLY TO INVITED GUESTS THESE WERE MADE UP OF SO CALLED LOCAL DIGNATARIES WHO HAD NEVER SEEN A PUB NEVER MIND A NIGHT CLUB THIS LED TO THE FAMOUS QUOTE FROM MAX BYGRAVES "SHEFFIELD IS NOT READY FOR NIGHT LIFE" KATHY KIRBY NEVER EVER APPEARED AT THE CAVENDISH

THE FIRST ARTIST TO APPEAR WAS MAX BYGRAVES AND TICKETS WERE NOT ISSUED FOR THIS PERFORMANCE IT WAS INVITATION ONLY TO INVITED GUESTS THESE WERE MADE UP OF SO CALLED LOCAL DIGNATARIES WHO HAD NEVER SEEN A PUB NEVER MIND A NIGHT CLUB THIS LED TO THE FAMOUS QUOTE FROM MAX BYGRAVES "SHEFFIELD IS NOT READY FOR NIGHT LIFE" KATHY KIRBY NEVER EVER APPEARED AT THE CAVENDISH

I new my memory..wasn't failing me..(see page 3 post #37 this thread)...

Now where did I put my Hearing aid ???.

Hey up Kirky

Originally it was the Penny Farthing, and in the 60s/early 70s was the best club in town. Does anyone remember Brian Mitchell who was the DJ down there?

The bouncer who used to look thro' the peephole in the door,before letting you in, was "Big Ronnie Crookes" who later went on to door at The Fiesta

• 7 months later...
Ruthie, I think it was larry on keyboard - did i hear right that Terry died? compares name was pat m'c cluskey I remember cos I worked there @ age 18 and had an enormous crush on him:D

Erino/Ruthie, I just stumbled on this thread (well my sis sent me a link!), I'm Terry's daughter, Larry was the singer (I had a crush on him lol)

And yes, Terry died at the end of the eighties - only 44 but if you worked at the Fiesta you will know he packed things into life!