Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Chris M

Where was Tiffany's ?

Lost count of the number of times I went to the Fiesta.

Always seemed to get free tickets - but always for

days early in the week so getting up for work was rough.

From memory - best acts I saw at Fiesta -

Four Tops

Tommy Cooper

Roy Orbison

Gene Pitney

Edwin Starr

Sam & Dave

Stevie Wonder - brilliant !

Can anyone remember what the resident band were

called ?

Talking of Tony Christie - back in the 70's I was on a bus in

a remote area of Yugoslavia and Tony came on the bus radio

on a local station singing "Amarillo" and the whole bus started

singing along to it - unreal !!

Tiffany's was that weird looking white place at the bottom of the London Road. Was previously called the Locarno. Think it began life as the Lansdowne picture house. Last I heard it was still a nightclub called Club Generation - oh yeah, and they've painted it black now!!

Originally posted by mowith

Does anyone remember going to the night club at the Wednesday ground in the 70s.

Met my husband in there who is one of the keenest Blades fans you'll ever meet. He still says Wednesday have a lot to answer for!

Used to go to a club at Hillsborough in the 70's. It was called 'Ozzy Night Owl'. Is this the same place?

Originally posted by Houdi

Tiffany's was that weird looking white place at the bottom of the London Road. Was previously called the Locarno. Think it began life as the Lansdowne picture house. Last I heard it was still a nightclub called Club Generation - oh yeah, and they've painted it black now!!

When I was of an age to go underage clubbing (mid 80s), 'Tiffanys' was called Vicars (not forgetting the upstairs bit which was called The Treetops Suite where, if you danced too vigorously, the record jumped and the DJ bellowed "Don't knock the console!").

These days of course, it's quite a prestigious club owned by the Gatecrasher people, and it's called Bed.

In between times it's been variously called Le Palais (when it was a stalwart of Sheffield's early nineties rave scene), The Music Factory (when it became the first mid-nineties Sheffield club to really compete with the serious clubbing giants of Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool - its flagship night was the glam house Love To Be...), and Club Generation (about which I have no knowledge whatsoever).

Originally posted by Damon

When I was of an age to go underage clubbing (mid 80s), 'Tiffanys' was called Vicars (not forgetting the upstairs bit which was called The Treetops Suite where, if you danced too vigorously, the record jumped and the DJ bellowed "Don't knock the console!").

These days of course, it's quite a prestigious club owned by the Gatecrasher people, and it's called Bed.

In between times it's been variously called Le Palais (when it was a stalwart of Sheffield's early nineties rave scene), The Music Factory (when it became the first mid-nineties Sheffield club to really compete with the serious clubbing giants of Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool - its flagship night was the glam house Love To Be...), and Club Generation (about which I have no knowledge whatsoever).

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea exactly when it changed it's name from the Locarno to Tiffanys. My era was the 70's and I always thought it was called Tiffanys then. Don't particularly remember it as the Locarno, but I could be wrong. Long time ago, and many dead brain cells now!!

In the late 60's used to go down to the then LOCARNO

on Sunday nights.

Remember the DJ was called "Mighty Atom" and I think

the guy was only small 4 - 5 ft.

Never got too close to the decks.

Anyone else remember him ?

In the eighties the Mighty Atom was DJ at Josephines who sponsored the basket ball team I played for.

Anyway, I used to dread pre season when I would be asked to pose for the Star photographer with this little guy as he presented me with the sponsorship cheque. I am 6 feet 6 inches tall.

Cannot remember his name but he drove a white E-type with wooden riser blocks on the pedals.

Ah the old days when each club tended to have its own resident DJ who worked all the nights.....none of this superstar DJ crap we have now, just regular people wearing snazzy suits spinning the old vinyl and shouting down the mike at you! Ah, the good old days......

I worked at Tiffany's for a while as the "resident" DJ back in 1978, possibly Sheffields youngest DJ at the time.