Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

Penny Farthing, best club in town. Had so many nights there, mixing with footballers, goodness knows how they managed to play the next day. A typical night out was to start at the top of the town, cant remember the name of the pub, we used to get off the bus at Walshes and go Fitzalan Square direction, then zig zag our way down town, Nelson, Buccanner, Wap, Hermitage and then end up at the Penny Farthing. Hermitage with its revolutionary video jukebox, my one memory was The Captain of Your Ship, it used to be played over and over again as there were girls with very few clothes on, if ever I hear that song it takes me straight back to being 17 again, in the Hermitage, absolutely heaving with people having a good time. Such memories!!

I agree entirely.

Fantastic times

• 8 months later...
Hi, I'm surprised there's only one mention of SHADES on Ecclesall Road. It was probably a bit down-market for a lot of people, but we had some great music there in the late 60's. I moved away in 1970 but went on to run the Northern Soul all-nighters at Cleethorpes, so the music I found at SHADES lived on. I'm trying to locate the people I worked with, so if any of you know of anyone who worked there, I'd love to hear from you. All the best, Graham

As I recall the Shades was a place of Colour. Used to go there on Saturday nights.

At 15 (looking 25 in my "cocktail dress") the Locarno was quite sophisticated a guy asked my if I wanted a drink (I didnt drink) and trying to look "grown up" asked for a dry sherry!!! spent tne next hour looking like I'd sucked a lemon.

Went dancing at the City Hall the Students Union and Nether Edge hall (jazz) and jiving at Frechville early 60's

• 3 months later...
Just For The Record Tiffanys Was A Marks And Spencer Store And Also A Mecca Bingo Hall If Fact It Was The First Bingo Hall In Sheffield

Sorry to bring this old thead up again but can anyone remember this as a Marks And Spencer Store as we were discussing it in our local watering hole and nobody seemed to remember this ?

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to bring this old thead up again but can anyone remember this as a Marks And Spencer Store as we were discussing it in our local watering hole and nobody seemed to remember this ?

It was during the Second World War, cdt.

The city centre store was bombed, and the nightclub/ cinema building was used as a temporary base for a while.

It was during the Second World War, cdt.

The city centre store was bombed, and the nightclub/ cinema building was used as a temporary base for a while.

Many thanks PT this will now be brought up the next time we are at the watering hole.