Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

Hi Just stumbled onto this site. I worked in Sheffield in the late sixty's for a few months as a 19 year old from Bristol. Absolutely loved it. Member of Cavendish and Penny Farthing, great memories of Tiffanys the Black Swan Top Rank and every pub along the Abbeydale Road. Cavendish I can remember Norman Wisdom Mat Monroe and some guy from Oppourtunity Knocks who used to flex his muscles to tune - I believe Tom Jones played there but didn't get to see him. Promise myself to go back one day to see how much its changed.:)

lol oh it changes, decade upon decade, its changed from my day (late 80s / mid 90s) let alone sixties lol

The Cavendish has had many guises, Baileys became Romeo and Juliets Cairo Jax (probably missed some), and believe it or not is now the jobcentre:). I believe it was named Cavendish Court, in memory of the old Cavendish club, I can remember me mum going in there in 60's.

Remember going to Baileys in the 70's, saw Jimmy Ruffin. The Fiesta had most of the big acts, Four Tops, Temptations, The Three Degrees, and even Bruce Forsyth, at the time I was embarrassed to admit to enjoying watching him, he played piano, sang danced and told jokes, but now I realise that I was watching a legend.

anyone remember the morris naylor band.

Hi my husband worked on the door at the top rank, with his brother . When Jimmy Ruffin was appearing at the Cavendish his manager popped into the rank and spoke to the management saying that they could come to a deal for Jimmy to appear there. He came several months later, unfortunately he was not as popular then but they got in a fair crowd. Jimmy was well into the session, when he reached out to the girls in the audience and they were grabbing his hands then he noticed his £15,000 watch had disappeared! This was in the 60s.

Yes i remeber when 1 player scored more goals than wednesday is going to score all season. Derek dooly 47 in 1 season. Then lost his leg he could have scored more goal with 1 leg than all this lot put together i started watching wednesday in 1942.

By the way i think the yo - yo team ia back. Cheers roy.