Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

Originally posted by Chris M

Can anyone remember the Cavendish Nightclub ?

It opened in May 1967.

I was only sixteen at the time so it had changed to Baileys

Nightclub before I got in the place in the early 70's.

By then the Fiesta Nightclub was pulling in the big names.

Can anyone recall the artists who appeared at The Cavendish

in it's early days ?

I think Dusty Springfield was the first artist to appear there.

my auntie was a dancer there apparently she used to be in a cage hanging from the ceiling wearing next to nothing.

Club Uropa used to be called Isabella's back in the mid nineties. Anyone remember Kiki's next to where Matrix bar is now? It was open around the same time as Isabella's next to wher the Matrix bar is now? I also used to go in Capitol nightclub on Eyre street before it became club zero and later a live venue.

Originally posted by MARTINO 1

Any one remember crazy daisy on high street a mate of mine got glassed in there it sure was crazy.

The crazy daisy was a great nightspot,me & my mates would go there every weekend & walk home to Heeley all the way down the Moor.what days

Originally posted by kirky

my auntie was a dancer there apparently she used to be in a cage hanging from the ceiling wearing next to nothing.

I hope she looks as good now as she did then kirky..........ah happy memories indeed....lol

I can remember Kiki's, it was a great night. Although I have no idea how I used to dance to hardcore but I loved it. I couldn't stand to listen to it now though.

Capitol was a great night aswell. Used to go there then onto Niche and then onto Tin Pan Alley all day sunday.

Happy days. Hard to believe it was 8-9 years ago.

I used to be a member of the Cavendish Club and thought it was the bees knees at the time.

The best night I had there was going to see Georgie Fame.

We also had a good meal in the restaurant there.

In later years I went to the Ozzie Owl Club as it was more local for me.

I remember celebrating my Father in Law's birthday there one night.

He was a regular and well known for his drinking, the only beer driven man in Sheffield was his claim to fame.

They asked for anyone to compete in supping a yard of ale and he volunteered.

As a 'treat' the bar staff filled the glass vessel with one of each drink including spirits from the optics from behind the bar until it was full.

He drank the whole lot and won a prize as well as a heavy hangover.

Thinking about it, he could have died.

Originally posted by Chris M

Can anyone remember the Cavendish Nightclub ?

It opened in May 1967.

I was only sixteen at the time so it had changed to Baileys

Nightclub before I got in the place in the early 70's.

By then the Fiesta Nightclub was pulling in the big names.

Can anyone recall the artists who appeared at The Cavendish

in it's early days ?

I think Dusty Springfield was the first artist to appear there.

If my memory is correct I think., Max Bygraves was the first caberet artist to appear at this Nightclub..and I remember he didn't go down as well as he should have, I believe there was a quote from him in the Star or Telegraph..He said "Sheffield was not yet ready for Nightclubs"..can someone check the archives at the Library to see if this was true?.

Guest oldgreen

In between times it's been variously called Le Palais (when it was a stalwart of Sheffield's early nineties rave scene),

O dear, that quote makes me feel old !

Yup it was locarno when Anwar and a few others of us approached club to do some nights there.. we went on to change it to the palais and hosted nights Compulsion Wednesday and Jam factory on Saturdays with Dave Seaman, Ralphy, solid state and Anwar and Green (me). Big nights there with Sasha etc, all happend from 1990 to 1992 then came to a bit of a sudden close when a certain group were denied entrance to the club, took Umbrage to this, and vented their frustration with tear gas and shotguns...

Anwar went on to build the republic.....the rest of us crawled back under a rock !

The nightclub above the skating rink was Samanthas before Stars.

It used to hold the Northern Soul all-nighters in the 70's. All drinks 10p on a Monday night.

The Crazy Daisy was excellent more like a late bar than a night club as I don't remember there being a dress code and it was really casual, used to have different music on different nights something for all tastes. Apart from the beer which was watneys red barrel.

I remember that also was a bier keller in a previous life.

Bring them back what a fun night out drinking steins of bier and dancing on tables to an oompah band make a change from the stuff on offer now.

• 1 month later...
Guest poppins

Yes ChrisM

I went to Locarno in the 60s, City Hall also, places were always packed, us girls would dance together around the outside of the dance floor to see who was there.

They were realy stricked on underage drinking back then, my sister and i once got caught, you would have thought we had committed a murder, they (cops) went to see my mother at work the next day, she had to go to the P Dept, we didn't do dancing for a long time after that.

Barley Wine was the big drink back then for us girls, cheap and strong, tasted awful.

Poppins