Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

I think Crazy Daizy opened in 1974 and as Jimi Hendrix died in 1970 I doubt that and as a 'Daizy' regular, don't recall LZ being there.

It was previously Lowenbrau bier keller, this opened around 1972. The bigger Hofbrauhaus bier keller took its trade and it soon closed with Crazy Daizy taking its place though I can't remember exactly what year.

Morning to one & all from a very windy Zakynthos(Zante) in Greece.

This my first time on the site & I'm very old as I can remember the 60s.

Apologies to you Steel people 'cos I'm originally from Halifax but live in Greece.

All this talk of Tiffany's put me in mind of the Penny Farthing on the Moor.

I worked as publicity artist for the owners, Star Group of Leeds, back in the

early 70s. It was a bit of doddle as I used to do 'site visits' to the clubs in

Sheffield & Bradford to make sure everything was OK. Sheffield was my favourite

and the manager made sure I was well fed & watered(I had control of the budget for all six Penny Farthings and I decided where the money went).

I recall it being more expensive that most other discos in order to keep scuffers

like me out.One of the doormen(bouncers?) was an ex-sparring partner of Randolph Turpin(famous boxer of the 50s)....big lad! There were some gorgeous

looking girls in there at night but all were in 'daddy's' car(Jags,Mercs,etc.)parked

on waste ground opposite the club. Anyone as old as me who can remember the club?

Was the Penny Farthing later shortened to Penny's? I went once or twice when I was 15 or 16. I seem to remember some of the lads from school nipping down there to spend their school dinner money on the lunch time strip show they had at Penny's.

I enjoyed the post... and chuckled at your mention of Johnny Kalendar, he used to be my jolly neighbour

Hi I think his real name was Johnny Coggin and he lived in Addy Street as a kid. I lived in Cross Addy Street and he went to Crookesmoor.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

yes remember it well. Went there Friday and  Saturday nights after doing pub crawl round sheffield.dove rainbow.golden ball ,stone house to name a few.thought tiffany s was good till they turned lights on at end and you saw all plastic palm trees! Happy days.spent many nights at hoffenbrous.as well so many great clubs.Genevieve was also a good night out.Thanks for the memories!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...