Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

We used to come down to the Limit from Filey in the '80's when Human League, Heaven 17 were at the peak of their fame. We got some odd looks up here on the East Coast when seen in our gear, but fitted in pretty well in Sheffield!

:hihi:

After a night at the Limit, we'd sleep in a shelter in Weston Park, or at the Midland Station.

Great days.

Originally posted by bevdragon

My mum used to work as a barmaid at Bailey's. I used to go there when it was Romeo and Juliets. Also went to Roxy's and the same building when it was the Fiesta (saw Bobby Crush there!). I remember going to Josephine's, Tiffany's, The Limit, Turn Ups, Crazy Daisy, Raffles Bar, and the one behind the Moor but can't remember the name of that one (near Telephone House)

There were two nightclubs, years ago, by telephone house

one was Genevieve's, on the front, the other one was Mona lisa's (IIRC) which was around the back of Genevieve's.

PT

Originally posted by clogginchris

Anyone remember Turn Ups when it was in Nether Edge - can't remember where, but it was quite a residential area, and it closed down after too many complaints from locals. i was there on the last night, and for many years had one of their bar stools in my room as a memento!

Wow, yes, it was near the bottom end of Nether Edge Road - there are flats there now I think. If memory serves me correctly, it was a very basic looking building - it looked like one of those temporary mobile classrooms you used to sometimes have outside schools! I used to walk past it when I was a kid and used to be really intrigued as to what went on there. What a weird place to have a nightclub!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Chris M

Can anyone remember the Cavendish Nightclub ?

It opened in May 1967.

I was only sixteen at the time so it had changed to Baileys

Nightclub before I got in the place in the early 70's.

By then the Fiesta Nightclub was pulling in the big names.

Can anyone recall the artists who appeared at The Cavendish

in it's early days ?

I think Dusty Springfield was the first artist to appear there.

I was an original member at the club and got 4 free tickets for the first night opening when the star artist was Kathy Kirby

Originally posted by Chris M

Can anyone remember the Cavendish Nightclub ?

It opened in May 1967.

I was only sixteen at the time so it had changed to Baileys

Nightclub before I got in the place in the early 70's.

By then the Fiesta Nightclub was pulling in the big names.

Can anyone recall the artists who appeared at The Cavendish

in it's early days ?

I think Dusty Springfield was the first artist to appear there.

saw p j proby there one night .the girls were going wild.the yobs down the front were shouting out ...gerroff tha big puff.. when he stopped mid song and in is best elvis acent said...al see ya all outside after the show the we "ll see who"s the faggot assholes..shut em up .thats all they wanted to hear,elvis's buddy being macho.

Not mentioned yet.

The Penthouse, (dixon lane town centre)

A heavy rockers paradise.

Straight out of the wapentake at 10:30 in to the Penthouse.

Coats moving in the corner, bodies just laid out everywhere, brill, around 1978 time. :thumbsup:

I was a kid of the late 60's early seventies. My favourite place was Haerbeats above the skating ring, It was handy from Park Hill, just down the hill. Had some super times there and listened to some gr8 music. We watched the 1970 world cup in colour there, and then danced the night away listening to some gr8 soul sounds. I went through a phase of taking photos their using special film that didn't need a flash. Got some gr8 pics but they have been lost I think. At that time it was an Art College Idea, and I was at Sheffield College of Art, although I was a skinhead. :)

Originally posted by viking

Not mentioned yet.

The Penthouse, (dixon lane town centre)

A heavy rockers paradise.

Straight out of the wapentake at 10:30 in to the Penthouse.

Coats moving in the corner, bodies just laid out everywhere, brill, around 1978 time. :thumbsup:

I've got some fairly distinct memories of the Penthouse and it is true there was a very relaxed attitude as to what was going on in some of the darker corners, the long couch like seats certainly meant lying down after lots of ale was quite nice.