Dore Grill -bad experience.

sipra

Has anyone been to the Dore grill recently? This was was my first and last visit to this venue. We were on a girls night out and had booked a 4-course dinner and dance.

My first impressions were that this was a place my gran would love, still it was friendly. Imagine my surprise when my starter of chicken liver pate with toast fingers arrived with the toast sporting some very clear mould with hairs growing from it!!! To give them credit, when I complained they swiftly removed the dish and brought me another one (which I then checked carefully!!). Next, my main course was lamb shank. A couple of mouthfuls made me feel that I was tasting very funny meat!! I decided that it was probably my mind playing games but my next mouthful made me feel quesy. I asked my friend to taste it and she confirmed that the meat was off!!! Why Me, I asked myself! This was swapped for a steak with a watery pepper sauce which I ate a bit of, whilst all my friends had long finished their meals. 45minutes later our desserts arrived which was the most soggy pastry and apple gunk accompanied by what can only be described as cheap and nasty ice-cream! The disco was like being at a terrible wedding disco where your aunt had a few too many and flirted with your young cousin and your uncle showcases his expert dance moves (elis included) with your friends!

When the bill came, we complained that we weren't going to pay for my meal and to my surprise they came back stating that they would take ten pounds off my meal!?!! They had be politely told that his was not a choice we were offering rather it was a statement.

Was this place for real? How come it is still surviving? If there was ever a better candidate for Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares then this must be it.

I thought it was posh there.

Well it is in Dore... ;)

Posh? Doesn't sound it. The menu's are hilarious, "melon fan," "mackerel hot or cold," dessert trolleys, it's pure Bernie Inn! The misspelling of 'trolley' is the squirty cream on the black forest gateau...or should that be gatto?

The wording of the website is priceless, I particularly like the extensively reasoned warning about how and why prices might change. I have a feeling young diners i.e. those who still have a marginally functioning palate are unlikely to be welcome!

I've just seen the Saturday menu, it's even better! It's the kind of place I imagine going in the Autumn of my years before going home and shoving my head in the oven to finish it all of.

Archived