Rude Germans. What is wrong with these people?

I've been to Germany many times, ditto France, Belgium and the Netherlands. Invariably I find everyone polite if you make some attempt to speak their language - there's nothing worse than just talking in English and presuming they will reply in kind - it seems to put everyones backs up and rightly so.

I can't speak Flemish or Dutch but if I apologise for it and speak French or German instead then everything seems fine.

Try being an Aussie in London or 'Jafa' and we are known.

Just Another Flaming Aussie, only not so nicely put.

There are many rude people in many places. I don't think Germany has the monopoly.

I don't supose you've been a woman in Morrocco?Being spart on is rather rude

Also when my friend opened a door and let four Germans walk through not one said a word of thanks, not even eye contact to say thanks..............

I find quite a few of my friends from daarn saarf do this too.................... didn't realise they were german.

• Haha 1

• 15 years later...

I think it’s about cultural differences in what constitutes rudeness. When I have visited Germany I have found the people there incredibly helpful and considerate. On social side in Uk I have met many Germans and found them to be fun and outgoing. In work I find the most problems. They ( all I have met, in work across 20 years, but still not possible to say this represents a whole country) tend to be direct / straight talking which is actually a very helpful thing but to Brits who are often anything but, this can come across as abrupt, blunt and hence appears rude. I can be working with people I like very much but find their approach often offends and even insults me some time. For example, the other day one said to me “You’re taking too long, hurry up” I was upset because I had been continually interrupted by multiple people whilst trying to complete a critical task. The Brit politeness in me prevented me from saying what I needed to do my job ( everybody butt out now!!!!) and I would have been way too (Brit) polite to tell someone they were taking too long the way she did. But I believe I could have been as direct back to her without offending her, it’s just to me that would have felt antagonistic so I wouldn’t to it. I’m sure to German/ic peoples we probably look underhand and sneaky for not saying exactly what we mean. 

On 06/10/2008 at 01:46, banjodeano said:

I have just come back from a weekend trip to Berlin, i found the Germans very rude and arrogant, i have never known any other country that can compare to them. Why are they so arrogant and nasty? what can make them behave in such a way? i also wonder if they are just the same with other foreigners, or is it just an anti English thing:confused:

Same in London mate ignorance rules in our capital city 

There are so many national stereotypes so you can only speak as you find.

Working for a German company I was always struck by their formality and awareness of status.

Whilst we in England worked in open plan areas ,they all had their own private areas and rarely used Christian names.It was all Herr this and Frau that.

However I never found them rude at all despite and the majority switched to perfectly good English when I was about.

Most nationalities are labelled with certain traits,many of which prove false when you get down to an individual level.

Welsh,Scottish,English,Southerners,Northerners,Americans,Pakistanis ,French etc.etc