The new Doctor Who

Rich

Steven Moffat is taking over from Russell Davies.

This is good for Doctor Who (Steven Moffat wrote the award winning Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace and Blink).

Expect Doctor Who to be pushed into slightly darker rooms!

Steven Moffat is taking over from Russell Davies.

This is good for Doctor Who (Steven Moffat wrote the award winning Empty Child, Girl in the Fireplace and Blink).

Expect Doctor Who to be pushed into slightly darker rooms!

From BBC's website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm

This current series has not impressed me one bit. Steven Moffat has undoubtably written the best episodes since Dr Who came back on our screens.

Brilliant news that Moffat's got the job, I've loved every episode that he's written so far.

Also, he's got a sense of humour!

From the BBC report

Moffat said: "I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven." :D

The news of RTD's leaving came as no surprise to me, and I was actually very pleased. He did a great job in re-launching the show a few years back, but then began to believe his own hype about him being amazing. The past 2 seasons have shown evidence of this (and reading interviews with him in SFX etc confirm that he really does think the sun is shining out of his bottom).

Now it is time for fresh blood to take the reins, and allow the show to develop a bit in a new direction. Moffat was responsible for the 3 best stories of the show so far (since the relaunch) - here's hoping that eye for a good yarn continues.

Ok then... when a writer takes over, is it all left up to his discretion about the stories to write?

Does he get told to have one episode with , lets say Cybermen in it and one episode with Daleks in it and so on? Then does he gets the freedom to instoduce his own baddies?

As the producer and chief writer, he will be responsible for the theme of the main arc for the season(s), crafting the idea which will run through the epsiodes as a whole. If he wishes to craft some new villains, he tells the writing team this idea, and a story is built around them. Moffat will probably still only personally write a couple of episodes each year himself, but will throw out ideas for the rest of the team to work with to get the theme for the season (RTD did the whole Bad Wolf idea, then the Cybermen arc (alongside the Torchwood concept), and then the Master - with this season being the return of old faces)

Some epsiodes will, I expect, still be left as solo adventures, being the usual filler fodder (indeed Moffat's best episode to date, Blink, fits beautifully into this category). These fillers allow other writers to really bash out an idea or concept, without the main arc pulling them away. Moffat (as RTD did) will still have final say on which scripts get used, and which are not up to it.

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

No probs. I certainly hope that the BBC will put enough trust in Moffat (who also wrote Jekyl last year) to let him craft some interesting new baddies rather than expecting him to bring the usual array of Daleks and Cybermen back over and over again. After all, each of Moffat's great epsiodes so far have had some of the most memorable (for me) baddies of recent years (the gasmask people who want their mummy, the Clockwork Men, and, best of all, those statues!)

Of course, I still want the old villains to return occasionally, but I love new unknowns even more.

Interestingly a fellow sci-fi nut who writes for Death Ray magazine has commented on how Moffat's scripts rarely kill people off, yet RTD seems to love killing people (and has quite a high body count for Who). Perhaps we may see a little less death in future :)