The new Doctor Who

Rich

I've just read that dr who is due to be axed next year- anyone know if its true?

Highly unlikely, since it's (a) the most popular programme on BBC1 excluding the soaps, and (b) it makes £millions for the BBC in overseas sales and merchandising.

Who would not have been axed last time if it wasn't for Michael Grade, who hated the show. (and, it seems, made it his lifes-work to axe it!)

It was an extremely popular, long-running and successful programme then, and was missed badly.

I do hope that it doesn't get axed again.

I've found the article I read....

HIT show Doctor Who will be EXTERMINATED next year — after the fourth series.

Boss Russell T. Davies has decided to axe the BBC1 sci-fi drama and concentrate on other projects.

He and senior staff have hatched a plot to hand in a group resignation in summer 2008.

A source said: “The heavy workload — nine months of 16-hour days every year — has started to take its toll.

“It was decided the best thing for the show was go out at the top next year.”

Davies was behind the relaunch of Doctor Who in 2005 — 16 years after it was originally axed.

The series, starring David Tennant as the Time Lord, is watched by eight million every Saturday.

Its from The Sun's website

Boss Russell T. Davies has decided to axe the BBC1 sci-fi drama and concentrate on other projects.

He and senior staff have hatched a plot to hand in a group resignation in summer 2008.

A source said: “The heavy workload — nine months of 16-hour days every year — has started to take its toll.

Davies was behind the relaunch of Doctor Who in 2005 — 16 years after it was originally axed.

The series, starring David Tennant as the Time Lord, is watched by eight million every Saturday.

Grr, stupid BBC! :rant:

If they axe Doctor Who I'll have to start going out on Saturday nights and I can't afford it what with the occassional Dev Cat meet on Sundays as well :rant:

Oh well, it can go to Channel 5 like Neighbours.

According to the main Dr Who forum the rumour is that RTD will leave but there is nothing to say that the series will end.

Another example of a popular British show dying long before its U.S. counterpart would have done. The production and writing teams are way too small and burn themselves out after a couple of seven-part series.

And perhaps if he didn't follow up each episode with a Doctor Who Confidential, he wouldn't be so exhausted. :roll:

Another example of a popular British show dying long before its U.S. counterpart would have done. The production and writing teams are way too small and burn themselves out after a couple of seven-part series.

And perhaps if he didn't follow up each episode with a Doctor Who Confidential, he wouldn't be so exhausted. :roll:

I agree about confidential. It takes any mystery away. I like to watch the programme with my kids as fantasy and don't need to know all the whys and wherefores of it all. :(

Funny old episode, eh?

A pretty enjoyable yarn, for the most part. It seemed to have a few too many themes crowbarred into it, though.

As well as the dodgy fact that a bullet could kill a scarecrow, we still had a crappy villain in a polystyrene cave illuminated by Star Trek style green glowy bulbs. And wasn't he a naff actor? Seemed to be under the impression that tilting his head to one side and doing the old wonky-grin-with-googly-eyes thing would make him look menacing. But he just looked like he was breaking wind.

Shame, 'cos otherwise it was a good'n.