Billy Norton the singer

DUFFEMS

• 3 weeks later...

I remember him, although I only saw him once at a WMC somewhere in Sheffield’s east end. Work colleagues took me. They suggested that I sat at a table with my back to him, then guess who he sounded like.

That wasn’t difficult. Crosby at that time was in his prima, and the singer I was listening to certainly had his voice — and making no attempt at all to mimic his voice. He didn’t need to do that. He was certainly equal in voice to Crosby, but alas he didn’t live in Hollywood where he might well have been something of a success.

Well, my mother was right then. You never know with family information which has been handed down.

Apparently, this chap was my grandfather's brother, he sang under the name of Billy Norton and was nicknamed Sheffield's Bing Crosby.

I'm so pleased to have first-hand knowledge of someone who's actually heard of him, that's brilliant and, many thanks for that peterw, I'm very grateful for that.

I've been doing my Norton family history research for a while now and this name cropped up so I thought I'd asked on here if anyone could substantiate this so, that's another bit for my family history.

Thanks, as usual to the forummers.

Duffems.

Archived