Wragg's Pond (Loxley Valley)

Mella

Hi,

I've always thought the area of water in the Loxley Valley known as Wragg's Pond refers to Old Wheel Dam, on the site of the old Wragg's Work. However I've seen a grid reference for Wragg's Pond which appears centred on Olive Dam.

I'm writing an essay on some aspects of the Loxley Valley, and need to get this right! Can anyone confirm which one of these is correct?

Best wishes,

Pete

Why not get in touch or visit the Bradfield Archives held in the Bradfield council offices which are open every Thursday all day.

They have a carload of maps, photographs and information on the Loxley Valley.

The Archivist Malcolm Nunn will be there every Thursday, he is an absolute mine of information and he also lives in the valley.

I hope this helps you.

In the meantime :) ...

David Crossley's Water Power on the Sheffield Rivers says that Old Wheel aka Loxley Plane Wheel was taken over after 1884 by Thomas Wragg and used for crushing refractory clay [ie ganister] until 1956.

Although the historical summary for Olive Wheel does not mention the name Wragg, there is a sale plan from 1892 which shows that much of the land surrounding the mill property and dam was owned by Mr Thomas Wragg.

So that probably doesn't help at all!:hihi:

Hugh

It's true - Bovis Homes has an application on the site of the old Hepworth/Wragg's site, which would see a township so large created that the plan was to have its own pub and post office, plus major road expansions up Loxley Road.

There's been so much local opposition, though, that the plan seems to be on ice at the moment, with no news for a couple of years. There's still work carried out on site now and again, though, and security guards patrolling the site, so Bovis must still have a financial interest in it, and it wouldn't surprise me if they start it all up again soon.

It's a tough one - I don't want to see housing down there, as it would not only destroy a historically significant part of Sheffield's industrial past and a wildlife-rich habitat, but is situated on the gateway to the Peak District which I believe would suffer from a large-scale housing estate. Plus, from a selfish point of view, I don't want the disruption of the roads and the ruination of an area I use very regularly for walking and birdwatching.

But on the other hand it could be argued that the derelict factories aren't really doing anyone any favours and something needs doing with the site.

I used to go fishing in Loxley. The guy had a lake in his back garden. He was an ex scrap dealer I think and had geese guarding the place. The fish used to swim just under the surface in shoals. There was a river next to it that I presume he had tapped into to create his water feature. Does anyone recall this?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived