Private members Bar for the gay Community

gaydad

So what you are saying is that you want to turn the "gay" venue Identity....into a members club and charge people to buy a share in the club.....thus I presume excluding the clientèle you have already established.

WHY would people want to do that......there are other gay bars and clubs that people could visit. What makes yours stand up above the rest.....I haven't been yet. I can't be asked to venture outside of the central area.

WHY would people want to visit Identity seeing as there are a few good gay bars and clubs in the central area.

So are you just seeking investment from anyone who can put up a few quid or are you saying that you are looking for gay people to contribute to your club for a share of the club (and any profit and debt that may arise from it).

As far as I remember gay venues in Attercliffe haven't gone down so well before......are you just another seeking other people to invest in something you know isn't going as well as you would have liked:?:

I was going to go along to Identity late last Friday, but heard from one of the DJ's from there that it had already shut down.

The Private members' club is a good idea, but it will be difficult in the current economic climate. How about hiring it out for arts events/gigs to kick start some kind of arts/creative community in Attercliffe?

This thread is a waste of time, Attercliffe is a no-go area for anything that will see success.

If it was going to be successful, it would have been.... as would fab.

Forget it, cut your losses, and start something in the centre if you want to make something work.

Harsh but true.

This thread is a waste of time, Attercliffe is a no-go area for anything that will see success.

Forget it, cut your losses, and start something in the centre if you want to make something work.

Harsh but true.

I would tend to agree with that; but the managers must have had their reasons for choosing a location such as Attercliffe when there are still quite a few empty licinced premises around th city centre crying out for reopening; like the MATILDA, for example;

I have pointed out that given a few years, Attercliffe might see regeneration in the form of 'Brownfield' Housing development; a lot of people would pay decent money for a house or flat only 5 minutes from the city centre. However, with the current bleak economic situation, this looks unlikely for another 3 years of so; maybe in about 5 years time there will be a thriving inner-city suburb which WILL want its own share of bars, cafes and the odd club, like a slightly more sterile version of Ecclesall Road, perhaps...:hihi:

I have pointed out that given a few years, Attercliffe might see regeneration in the form of 'Brownfield' Housing development; a lot of people would pay decent money for a house or flat only 5 minutes from the city centre. However, with the current bleak economic situation, this looks unlikely for another 3 years of so; maybe in about 5 years time there will be a thriving inner-city suburb which WILL want its own share of bars, cafes and the odd club, like a slightly more sterile version of Ecclesall Road, perhaps...:hihi:

..To follow up my last comment, you're not going to believe what I have just come across in the General Sheffield Threads! :http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=4178926#post4178926

Maybe there's hope if Identity become involved with Attercliffe Gateway...:D

I wonder if Planet (Fab) and Bar-Celona (Identity) had both re-opened at the same time that they both might have done better.

there are still quite a few empty licinced premises around th city centre crying out for reopening; like the MATILDA

You're obsessed with the Matilda dear! ;) Maybe they should rename it the Tranny's Head or something. :D

You lot are in cloud cookoo land if you think attercliffe is ever turning into ecclesall road! Thats like saying The Manor is the next Whirlow! The old phrase 'you cant polish a poo' comes to mind.

Ahh well, keep throwing good money after bad if you will, but i see this plea for investment nothing other than the current owners trying to limit and/or re-coop their losses.

Paying customers speak with their feet!

Harsh but true.

Have you any idea why Fab failed? I often asked that question and have been told it got off to a bad start as there were not enough bar staff and people were waiting too long to get served. Did you ever go?Have you been to Identity? If so what were your impressions? Unfortunately just moving to another location is not that easy. The costs of setting up a new bar are very high and the investment already in the Identity venue will be lost, there is also the matter of the lease that has to be paid wether the Venue is used are not.

The idea with the Members club was to make use of a Venue that has been refurbed. If there was enough interest then I am sure that it could be a success and would generate enough income to return a profit.

I don't think there will ever be a decent gay venue in Sheffield, nothing will ever receive enough support. Dempsey's will survive because no serious investor will be able to see a big enough market. We have already seen two venues come and go in a very short period.The Quarter and Old Crown.

Before becoming involved with this project I was led to believe that everyone was fed up with Dempsey's and they would flock to Identity to have a great time in a friendly atmosphere, the fact that it is at Attercliffe did not seem to bother the people setting up the bar. As I am not gay and don't know the scene I just thought that because Attercliffe used to be the area where the majority of venues were, its location was not such a problem. For me at night its possibly a safer location than the centre. I just think people can't be bothered to get out of their same old routines and the younger generation seem to take their acceptance for granted.

I have spoken to people who came out when life was much more difficult. These people went to places out of town and after hours to feel safer and eventually made life easy for the people coming out now.

I went to Climax not so long ago to do a little market research. What amazed me more than anything was the arrogance on show. I lost count of the number of times that I was barged around by young people who never once appologised, there was a total disregard of respect for each other. It seems that the younger generation of gays have had it too easy and have no idea what the older generation had to go through to make life so easy for them. If the events I witnessed in a happened straight venue it would end up in a mass brawl, not because we are heathens, but because we would not put up with ignorant people. My point is, stop taking things and Venues for granted.

I have been unhappy with the way Jamesogt uses this site( or even missuses) but I would like to wish him well in the future, he works hard to make the best of a difficult situation and deserves to succeed. Soon be just Lions Lair and Dempseys left

I hear what you are saying gaydad, and i know all too well about investing in something that ends up in a bad way (not bar related) - i am still paying the price for this. But profit is a reward for risk, the only thing is that we dont always come out on top.

I did go to Fab for the first 8 weeks of opening. My personal view was, a lack of taxis to get you home was poor, and about 3 weeks running the heating wasnt working so was freezing inside. Another thing is, you have to get to attercliffe, pay the entrance fee, only to find there are 4 people inside... at least if you go out to dempseys and there are only 4 people in, you can walk out having wasted £3.... not plus £8 for a taxi and the time lost.

Ive never been to Identity. We were going to go last saturday, but were told in dempseys (not by dempseys), that it was closed and that the bar staff were inside demps. So we didnt make the journey out there.

I dont want to sound 100% negative... but cant help it.

Let us all know if its open etc, and we will try it.

I have been unhappy with the way Jamesogt uses this site( or even missuses) but I would like to wish him well in the future, he works hard to make the best of a difficult situation and deserves to succeed. Soon be just Lions Lair and Dempseys left

James is just promoting his pub, which is harmless anyway.

Lions Lair and Dempseys left, are Affinity moving ?, are Xes closing down ?, I hear Sanctuary is turning gay, that will be good for Affinity and Lions, nice little walk there, or crawl.

Archived