Sheffield Great War A-Z

dean1

• 1 month later...

Dean, I just spotted while browsing references to the Great War AZ a reference to an "Eric Youle list" --was this the Eric Youle who came from Castor Road, Newhall, and was a leading figure in the Scouts movement for many years, and died not too long ago?

• 2 months later...
Redfyre,

no idea, just a brilliant website,

Dean.

I tried to go into the Eric Youlle site and it was blank.

Re the Eric Youlle I knew, he was prob born about 1929-30, and he died a few years ago. He came from the East End, and was a leading figure in the Boy Scouts movement in the area. If he is the same EY as the one who started the website, I must confess that I never knew he was into anything like that --though I must admit that when I knew him, many years ago, the subject of the army/war etc would not have arisen.

I am just wondering whether there is anyone out there who might be able to say yes it was th same Eric or no it wasn't.

When I tried to go into the site (I came across it on Sheffield history re "other Sheffield websites) and found it blank, I must confess I assumed it was because dear old Eric had died.

I feel sure there must be some scouts out there who knew Eric.

I too am trying to trace an Old Soldier of WW1 - 55691 Pte William H Beevor. 4th Yorks and Lancs. Problem is am trying to find out why he got Military Medal (and when) but have drawn a total blank. Would really appreciate any help. Thanks

Eric Youle is in New Zealand...he is a family historian with Sheffield roots.

http://history.youle.info/

Tuppie

Thanks, Tuppie. There is obviously a link, but I don't think this is the same Eric Youle. The person I have mentioned lived in the East End (Caster Road) as a youngster, was connected with the Scouts at Newhall in the 1940s, and in later life lived at Normanton Hill, S13. As far as I know, he died in 2007 or 2008. However, having looked at the family tree on this EY site, I note a reference to an Ethel Youle, and I remember that the East End Eric's mother was called Ethel. So the two Erics were probably cousins. Do you know how I can contact Eric Youle in New Zealand?

• 9 months later...

Message for Dean -Last year I sent you details of my grandfather who survived WW1 - I have now found that a great uncle won the Military Medal George William Whomersley can you direct me to where it may say why he won it. I have checked the ancestry site and read his records but it doesnt mention why he won it. Thank you

Archived