First Blue Bins, now Blue Boxes

Originally posted by Classic Rock

I've never found out yet when my blue bin is meant to be collected. It is full but never been put out to be emptied. :?

Should be a sticker on top of the bin giving collection dates. If it's not there then look on a neighbour's bin or go to the council web site and look there or ring environmental services and ask them or contact your local councillor who should be able to find out for you.

Great idea Tina, but I literally do not have a space where it would not be highly visible. It wouldn't fit in with my colour scheme in any room. I could put it in the cellar but then I'd be up and down all the time with tins, bottles etc. Oh dear, what a dilemma. So hablas espanol entonces.

Not sure about the bins being chipped, but the boxes certainly aren't (well not yet, it might be when I've chucked it down the cellar steps!) They are just bog standard plastic storage type boxes in a hideous bright blue colour

• 6 years later...

Just read about the new blue boxes that are to be distributed.My blue bin has been left outside today to be collected along with the rest of the street but where are Veoila,is that their name ?,blue bin not collected and the weekend is upon us.Have read about councils fining people for not bringing their bins in promptly how about Sheffield council fining Veiola.I think they are taking the p~~ out of us .Why cannot everthing go in one bin like it does in other countries and be sorted mechanically by magnets etc for tins .Before long we will be expected to take our bins to the local tip.Talking about tips do you think the staff employed at these places have to under go a charisma by pass to be employed there.

What 'other countries'?

When holidaying in Italy, you have to take ALL of your sorted rubbish to the nearest recycling point, within easy walking distance - no 'personal' refuse bins at all!

Come to think, Amsterdam has a similar system

We don't know we're born with our kerbside collections from right outside our houses

My hubby seems to think that the blue bin we currently have for paper will be used for glass & cans after the next collection & that we will have a blue box for paper.

I think its a good idea as we always have several bags next to the bin full of glass etc to take for recycling. I hate throwing this stuff in the normal bin so it will save us a job. I also hate standing at the glass bin throwing all the bottles in one at a time.

My hubby seems to think that the blue bin we currently have for paper will be used for glass & cans after the next collection & that we will have a blue box for paper.

Yes that's right, in the next 4/5 weeks I won't have to take all the glass, plastic & cans to the tip (recycling centre) any more :D I'm just worried the box won't be big enough for all the paper & card we seem to accumulate :confused: and will it blow away when put on the kerbside!

What 'other countries'?

When holidaying in Italy, you have to take ALL of your sorted rubbish to the nearest recycling point, within easy walking distance - no 'personal' refuse bins at all!

Come to think, Amsterdam has a similar system

We don't know we're born with our kerbside collections from right outside our houses

Thats the way this country is going

They can shove mine where the sun dont shine. Ill burn the lot on the back yard rarther than have it all over the place.

This is what happens when you privertize public organisations. I bet this has nothing to do with the district heating system being able to burn paper and card cheaper and cut down on their sorting costs.

Archived