First Blue Bins, now Blue Boxes

Is the change Sheffield-wide? And if so, where's the info from? We don't use our blue bin because we don't have enough paper to throw out - has there been a leaflet stuck to them or something? I'm quite keen on having glass/plastic recycling because we use a lot of it.

Is the change Sheffield-wide? And if so, where's the info from? We don't use our blue bin because we don't have enough paper to throw out - has there been a leaflet stuck to them or something? I'm quite keen on having glass/plastic recycling because we use a lot of it.

Info in the press, local websites, community assemblies and leaflets through doors:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/waste/strategy

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/sheffield/pages/new_recycling_service.asp

I don't mind the blue bin for bottles and tins and the grey bin for other stuff but if I fill the paper box up and it chucks it down and it triples in weight, they can cuckoo if they think I'm lugging it even 10 metres to the top of the drive. Or maybe they're on wheels with a lid to keep it dry and stop it blowing all over the city?

They do in France as well as Denmark, then again I remember pop being sold in glass bottle we could take back to the shops... None of the that plastic bockle imposed on us AND the recycling of. We're blamed for everything! I don't remember asking for plastic bags in favour or paper bags or plastic bockles in favour of glass. The manufacturers have decided to produce and give us hard to recycle and hard to re-use material.
I know this is going to sound strange, but I agree with you :D

Sod recycling! What happened to re-USING?!? It wasn't just pop bottles that went back for the return of the deposit, and veg never used to come in polystyrene trays! Trying to shop with minimum waste is a complete nightmare... and how often have I been stood there with a fabric bag only for a cashier to pack a plastic one in front of me... and for me to take a minute to register what's just happened and have to unpack her bag into mine? :rolleyes:

Thats the way this country is going

Bring it on! Recycling on every street corner, and properly recyclable packaging too!!

We've had foreign Coke that's had paper labels with no adhesive, and caps that come off bringing their security collar with them, leaving all three pieces in a perfect condition for recycling - unlike the jumble of junk 'British' Coke leaves us with!

It's good that the old blue bins will now be collected every fortnight and you can fill them with bottles. Previously we were recycling our bottles ourselves at the local supermarket.

As for the paper collection boxes, just drill a few holes in the bottom so that excess rainwater can drain out of them so they don't become too heavy. Soggy paper is just as recycleable as dry paper.

OK I'm pleased they'll finally be collecting bottles/tins etc - it's always puzzled me how everywhere else seems to recycle stuff except Sheffield. However I'll have to find somewhere else to stash my compost and so on now I'll be using the blue bin ;)

I'm a bit worried about the garden waste scheme - one bag emptied every four weeks? Nowhere near enough for me. So I hope we won't be getting snoopers on our black bins...

Archived