First Blue Bins, now Blue Boxes

edited .... so they do have lids! :)

But do they? According to the letter from Councillor Shaffaq Mohammed in last nights Star, the boxes that are for the card and paper will come with a 'hat or net' so the contents will not blow away. A net is no good at all if there is shredded paper in the box it will simply create a mess when it blows out of the box, or are the council looking to create new jobs by employing someone to clear the mess up after. :hihi:

But do they? According to the letter from Councillor Shaffaq Mohammed in last nights Star, the boxes that are for the card and paper will come with a 'hat or net' so the contents will not blow away. A net is no good at all if there is shredded paper in the box it will simply create a mess when it blows out of the box, or are the council looking to create new jobs by employing someone to clear the mess up after. :hihi:

"The Box will have a hat on.

Hip Hip Hip Hooray

But even with a hat, I bet

That stuff will blow away!"

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/sheffield/pages/wastecolfaqs.asp?catId=DryRecycling

Q. Where do I put the blue box to be collected?

A. The box should be placed on the kerbside next to your blue bin no later than 7.00am on collection day. Please ensure that the hat is securely in place on the box to stop your paper and card blowing away.

Q. Is the hat fastened to the blue box?

A. The hat will be in a bag and left inside your box. The hat is elasticated and is easy to fit over your box. We recommend that you tie one of the strings to one handle on your box to stop it blowing away after collection.

Q. Does the hat have to be on or off the blue box when presented for collection?

A. The hat should always be on the blue box when put out for collection to prevent your paper and card from blowing away.

Q. My blue box has lost its hat. What should I do?

A. Just contact us on: 0114 273 4567 or email: sheffieldenquiries@veolia.co.uk to order a replacement. There is no charge for this.

Q. Where do I put the blue box to be collected?

A. The box should be placed on the kerbside next to your blue bin no later than 7.00am on collection day. Please ensure that the hat is securely in place on the box to stop your paper and card blowing away.

Q. Is the hat fastened to the blue box?

A. The hat will be in a bag and left inside your box. The hat is elasticated and is easy to fit over your box. We recommend that you tie one of the strings to one handle on your box to stop it blowing away after collection.

Q. Does the hat have to be on or off the blue box when presented for collection?

A. The hat should always be on the blue box when put out for collection to prevent your paper and card from blowing away.

Q. My blue box has lost its hat. What should I do?

A. Just contact us on: 0114 273 4567 or email: sheffieldenquiries@veolia.co.uk to order a replacement. There is no charge for this.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/sheffield/pages/wastecolfaqs.asp?catId=DryRecycling

Well why say or a net? I believe in the saying, if its not broke don't fix it, why not use a box for the tins and bottles instead as they do in Merseyside and leave the blue bins for the use they were intended.

I can see claims galore from the binmen for bad backs after lifting all these boxes full of paper and card,

I have just read in the Gazette that the contents of the blue bins are going all the way to Wolverhampton for processing! So much for carbon footprints.:loopy:

We've just got a blue box for paper and card, our blue bin is for plstic tins and glass, but you can't put yogourt pots, plastic meat trays, bottle lids, plastic bags in so it looks like we'll carry on going to the recycling. Also once a fortnight they are all collected black bin, blue bin and blue box on a Monday, so don't drive round high green cos it will be chocca with bin lorries!!!!!!!!!!

Got ours also yesterday and as stated it has a net instead of a lid, I phoned Veolia and asked why not a plastic lid to keep the contents dry and she said "haven't you got anywhere to keep the box where it will stay dry" even if I had the box will be put at the kerb the night before collection and a decent downpour will soak the paper and then they may not empty it because it is too heavy.

Oh and when I mentioned the poor guys who will have to lift several hundred of these boxes every day I was told that "they will be given a training course on how to lift them", honestly you couldn't make it up.:loopy:

Got our blue box today - who thought of this crazy idea !!

I shred some of our letters we get etc so that be good when its windy lol , and as for papers the blue bin was always full !!

Whats stopping us just throwing paper in the blackbin instead;)

Archived