First Blue Bins, now Blue Boxes

Got our blue box today - who thought of this crazy idea !!

I shred some of our letters we get etc so that be good when its windy lol , and as for papers the blue bin was always full !!

Whats stopping us just throwing paper in the blackbin instead;)

I think the next logical step is for them to start charging to empty the black bin by weight, in order to encourage us to use the recycling boxes and bins as much as possible. This is what is done in some other countries.

The blue box does not have a lid, it has netting which you put over the top.

Blue bins for glass and plastic bottles, but not plastic packaging.

What happens if the glass breaks when you put it in? It is quite drop from the top to the bottom of an empty blue bin. Will it be safe for the binmen if there is a lot of broken glass in the blue bins? When we put our first lot of glass out this week, I got my husband to gently lower it all in as he has longer arms, but I don't think we will always be able to do that.

What happens if the glass breaks when you put it in? It is quite drop from the top to the bottom of an empty blue bin. Will it be safe for the binmen if there is a lot of broken glass in the blue bins? When we put our first lot of glass out this week, I got my husband to gently lower it all in as he has longer arms, but I don't think we will always be able to do that.

I would imagine they would have to be thrown in pretty hard to break, all pubs use bottle bins, binmen only wheel the bin to the back of thier truck.

I would imagine they would have to be thrown in pretty hard to break, all pubs use bottle bins, binmen only wheel the bin to the back of thier truck.

I don't know, I deal in antique glass and my husband seems to be able to break it without even touching it sometimes!

When I have had to get rid of broken glass in the past I have always wrapped it up in newspaper so it wouldn't hurt the bin men, but I suppose they will know what they are doing.

I also wondered why they want plastics and glass together - surely this just means another job for someone to sort them back apart again? That job won't be very pleasant either if there is broken glass.

Guest sibon

I also wondered why they want plastics and glass together - surely this just means another job for someone to sort them back apart again? That job won't be very pleasant either if there is broken glass.

I would think they will sort it mechanically.

Crush the waste and either riddle it or put it into water.

I imagine that they want them in the same bin for ease of collection and to try to encourage use of the bins without creating resentment or confusion.

where am i to keep this box. No room in the house, it has not lid on it. Hmmmm lets stick the paper in it outside to get wet, or should i by yet more environmentally unfriendly bags to put them in?

By the way, the council has no facility for pulping and recycling paper. To transport it to the nearest facility would be uneconomical.

However, it does get burned in the council incinerators to keep the tenants warm.

We live in Sheffield and we live in a block of 6 flats. I have one problem with our rubbish? We have a communal rubbish chute for little bits that go into one big bin, then if we want to put our big rubbish sacks out of the bin we have to have a key to a shed where we can throw it in the big bin. I have a big problem with this?

1 - We recycle glass and plastic and we have no other bins for glass or plastic so we just walk out to a bin and put our stuff in. We have to collect it in a big sack and the glass as well and put it in our box room which is full of stuff.

2 - If we had separate bins or even some of these blue boxes I would be so much happier so would other people in block as some of us make the

effort to recycle our glass and plastic.

We have to go to Morrisons at Halfway to put our plastic and glass in the recycle bins. We only go there because my parnters mum and dad take us there on a saturday morning to go shopping. We dont have a car so its not a viable option for us to walk to Morrisons to recycle our stuff.

I am thinkng of writing a letter to Sheffield City Council and tell them of our plight about not having bins to recycle our stuff in. There are houses were we live as we live in a cul-de-sac and they have all the bins for recycling stuff so why dont we. It would make my life much easier and I would feel like I am doing my part for the enviornment.

Archived