First Blue Bins, now Blue Boxes

are the tins and stuff that goes into the blue bin supposed to be washed - im on a water meter if thats the case i wont be bothering

We're on a water meter and have been washing out our tins for years for recycling. All you have to do is rinse them in your washing up water when you've finished washing up. Not too hard and unlikely to raise your water bills any.

Guest sibon
we have a dishwasher so it would mean rinsing out especially - all extra cost to us (thats why we had a meter)

Rinse them in your bathwater then. Or in a puddle outside. Or when you flush the toilet.*

* All of these ideas are stupid ones. Nearly as stupid as your objection to rinsing tins out and recycling them... but not quite.

Guest sibon
dont mind recycling but why should it cost us !!! the idea of a meter is to save money

How much do you think it will cost you to rinse out a tin?

Will this be less than the increase in price of tinned goods if they are all put in tins made fresh from metal ores?

Do some homework and get back to me. All the information that you need is freely available. :)

We haven't got ours yet but I've read the instructions with the box my Ma in law has got. It's the most ludicrous system the council (or rather Veolia ) have come up with yet. The blue box is for paper and card. It will be collected every 2 weeks, but is less than a third the size of the blue bins. However, you can bundle up the excess and place it next to the blue box for collection. And although the box is for paper and cardboard, please don't cut up carboard boxes so's they'll fit in the box. Flatten them and tie them in a bundle and leave them next to the blue box.

The blue bin should then be used for glass, cans, and plastic bottles. NOTE, only plastic bottles, not plastic tubs, yog.pots etc. These you have to take to the recycling centres. So while you're at it you might as well take the rest as well. And when you get there, you'll find blue Veolia skips into which you can put plastic bottles, plastic tubs etc, and cans, all together. Having spent the last few years carefully separating our waste and taking it to the centre, I'm now inclined to chuck the lot in the black bin and tell them where to stick their blue box and bin, (with the lid closed of course)

Archived