Anyone ride Fixed Gear?

I got a 'Charge Plug' a few days back. It's been an interesting transition from the road unicycle.

I think the unicycles fixed gear nature has helped me adapt to the fixed gear on the bike, but the bikes a much higher gear- a bit over 70" (42t and 16t) and some of the hills which were merely tough on the uni, are brutal on the bike.

It's a lot of fun riding it though- apart from the simplicity, ease of maintenance and connection to the road, I'm also enjoying the unexpected silence (no clicking gears or freewheel noise).

If anyone's into meeting up for a ride, preferably S6/town area (there's at least 2 of us with fixies around the Langsett road/crookesmoor area) then post in this thread and we'll arrange it.

Incidently, does anyone know if the 'critical mass' style bike ride that used to happen on occasional Fridays starting outside the train station is still going?

I've not ridden fixed for years (probably about 20 years ago, I reckon). At the time I'd bought a new bike for general riding and decided to convert my old 10 speeder (of very dubious pedigree) to fixed. I had a wheel built up (shop on Duke Street or City Road - on the right going up - the name escapes me at the moment) with a flip flop hub and a 27" rim to suit the bike. I ran it using the inner chainring only. I cannot remember the gearing, but it was certainly nothing like the 70"+ that most people use - more like 58" or 60". My pedalling technique certainly improved to achieve any sort of speed on the fat or downhill, but it was the best compromise for me (at my fitness level and weight) to stand any chance on the hills around here.

...and I certainly never progressed to trackstands or anything similar.

Unfortunately I managed to strip the thread on the fixed wheel side of the hub (alloy hub and narrow steel sprocket, maybe, or just badly fitted sprocket?). I'm sure that my legs could ever generate enough torque to cause any problem. I ran it as a freewheel bike for a bit but couldn't then see the point and finally lost interest. :(

Since then I've stuck with "normal" bikes, but I'll admit to the odd twinge of nostalgia when I see someone riding fixed. Its the simplicity and "purity" of the bike that appeals as well as the excercise you get from braking and controlling speed downhill.

Edited by Eater Sundae
"narrow" added

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Is this still going?

I have a singlespeed atm - started on 72", upped it to 80" for my flat-road commute, discovered just how flexy my frame is so seriously considering reverting to 72"...

http://www.lfgss.com/post1300700-26106.html

However, I also have a spare back wheel kicking about with a flip-flop hub and have always wanted to try fixed. Only snag is, the rim is wider so I'll have to reset the rear brake every time I change wheels.

Think I'll have to get fitter an'all ;-)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...