Champs, refurb finished, now re-open.

tony_santos

I've just heard that Champs are closing down? any truth to this? personally i'm not bothered as i've never really frequented the place, dont like the people that go there

Good! Maybe the Tragic 40 Something Year Olds that used to go there will finally act their age!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been to Champs since it reopened? I took some friends who were visiting on Saturday and we weren't impressed. First impressions were great, the place looks great and waitress was nice, however.....

We only ordered snacky stuff, nachos, onion rings etc it took AGES and there weren't that many people in. When it came the onion rings were AWFUL, dripping in fat, couldn't eat them. When we'd finished the waitress took so long to clear the table that we didn't have time for desert. When she asked if everything was ok I said about the onion rings her response was 'oh right'!!!

I was embarassed that i'd taken my friends there and won't be going again which is a shame because the actual place looks fab and the atmosphere was brillant, really chilled.

What does anyone else think?

walked past it on saturday and i like what they have done to the place- looks really modern inside.

can't comment about the food- the last time i was in there it was really nice, did you complaign to the manager on duty?

I was embarassed that i'd taken my friends there and won't be going again which is a shame because the actual place looks fab and the atmosphere was brillant, really chilled.

What does anyone else think?

But that's just it.

They've recently re-opened and are probably having a few teething problems. Granted, clearing tables should be a straight forward affair but writing them off after one visit might be a little unfair.

Go back in a few weeks and see if they've improved. Then comment. If it's good, great; if not then yes, you were right all along.:thumbsup:

walked past it on saturday and i like what they have done to the place- looks really modern inside.

can't comment about the food- the last time i was in there it was really nice, did you complaign to the manager on duty?

We'd kind of lost the will to live by the time they cleared the table and had to get off to meet some other friends at the station so no we didn't ask to speak to the manager, although I did kick myself for not doing so after i'd left!

Well the refurb is done! And it was open last night (Sun 2nd Nov 2008).

It has moved the bar from the middle and now runs across the back where the toilets were. It was quite bright with new creme leather upholstery and a mix of high and low seating. A lot of new bar products (mostly Thornbridge) as welll as things like warm spiced cider.

Now here is the key point, clearly it has moved from being a 'sports' bar, but is Brittania High (ITV1) on 5 screens with sound, really better than either Sky Sports News, Sky or nothing at all?

The 'crowd' looked fairly similar to normal.

We were going to eat, but when we went through to the dining part (which has hardly changed) we were informed they had very little left on the menu, therefore wern't serving anymore, so we went to Sams.

To me it looks like it has gone more Crystal or Walnut Club in its refurb,I guess time will tell if the 'Champs Crowd' like it or not.

We ate there at lunch time today.

The place looks great - so much better than its old run down look.

THe menu however (IMO) was pretty standard - not that that is a problem, untill you look at the prices.

I have no problem paying for something good - but their mega burger was £11.

Yes that was not a mistype £11! FOR A BURGER

Remember this is a pub in the student area of town, how many of them can (or would) pay £11 for a burger.

We ordered and the food took over half an hour, there was only 2 other tables eating and they had theirs! We only order snack type affairs and when they came along, they were ok, some of the dips were a little suspect (serious Cheese dip should NEVER look like that). but over all we felt that it was really not worth the money, especially when you have places like Yankees and Sams just a few steps away.

Went on sunday also, was empty food side as they had run out of food. I mean, seriously, opening week, and you run out of frozen food that either gets deep fried or microwaved?! Get a grip, and buy some bigger freezers. And please dont anyone try and tell me a burger / american diner style food place has much fresh food if any.

Bag of crap. And as for giving places a 2nd chance, why should we go twice and PAY twice just to give the bad management a chance to redeem themselves?!

I shall not be returning.

Archived