Coliseum, Spital Hill

Redfyre

Is'nt it funny how 'movie theatres' or the 'pictures' took on the names from Greek mythology and the Roman Empire, but enough about that. We went to the 'Colly' usually on a Saturday night as they seemed to have better films and it was thought of as a little bit more 'upscale' than our local 'Victory Picture Palace' on Upwell st. We had to catch a bus either way from Botham st, but I am sure I walked that on a few occasions. The theatre was plusher and even the sweets and ice cream were different and nicer, not to take anything away from the 'Vic' though spent many a happy hour there also. Texas you mentioned the graphic pictures you saw on news reels about Belsen and the Holocaust, I remember them also plus all the stories and pictures in the papers that circulated at the end of the war and yet some people and even countries are now making it their lifes work and advocating that 'it' never happened and that 'it' was all part of a large conspiricy, what a load of 'pigs swill' they preach really.

Hi rf2690. Best bet is to look up John Wayne biog on Wikipedia, then go into each of the films he made in late 1950s. The films, when you call them up, include a rundown of the storyline, and that might bring it all back for you! I have a few details of films shown at the Coli, but these were in the late 40s.

I saw 'Sands of Iwo Jima' a couple of months ago for the first time. I thought it a good movie, the cutting between actual war footage and studio was very good. BUT big John gets shot in the back in the last few minutes of the movie, so it ain't that one pilgrim.

Anybody remember a movie called 'The Fighting Sullivans'? I remember seeing that at the Coli'. It was about a family growing up, the sons going to war, and all getting killed. Happy little movie, it nearly had me in tears and I was only about twelve. Sensitive little so and so that I was.

How about some memories of the Coliseum, Spital Hill, a famous suburban cinema that closed in late 1963. Anyone with stories about going to see Roy Rogers films there? I recall one Christmas, back in the 1940s, when I went carol singing, and, as soon as I'd raised enough money to be able to afford to get in at the "Coli", off I went to see Roy Rogers, Gabby Hayes and, of course, Trigger. Remember the pit entrance at the bottom end?

I used to frequent a lot of the old cinemas in the 50's and 60's, but can't for the life of me remember where this one was.

I saw 'Sands of Iwo Jima' a couple of months ago for the first time. I thought it a good movie, the cutting between actual war footage and studio was very good. BUT big John gets shot in the back in the last few minutes of the movie, so it ain't that one pilgrim.

Anybody remember a movie called 'The Fighting Sullivans'? I remember seeing that at the Coli'. It was about a family growing up, the sons going to war, and all getting killed. Happy little movie, it nearly had me in tears and I was only about twelve. Sensitive little so and so that I was.

Hi Texas,

I also saw that movie but I don't think it was at the Coliseum.

There were five Sullivan brothers - George, Francis, Joseph, Madison and Albert (aged 20 to 27 at the time of their death). I think the family came from Iowa. US Navy policy was not to put brothers on the same ships but somehow they wangled their way onto a light cruiser called the USS Juneau (CL52). They lost their lives when the Juneau was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine at the Battle of Guadalcanal on November 13, 1942. ( Can't remember if Guadalcanal was another of John Wayne's victories).

It was the greatest militairy loss by a single US family in WWII.

The US Navy named two ships "The Sullivans" . The older one was a Cleveland Class destroyer (DD537). It was withdrawn from service a long time ago and was donated to the Buffalo and Erie County Militiary Museum in Buffalo, New York. Just down the road from where we used to live.

The present USS The Sullivans (DDG-68) was commissioned on 19 April 1997 and is still on active duty somewhere.

Regards

Re notes from Falls and rf2690 about John Wayne films, Sand of Iwo Jima was at the Coliseum for four days from May 2nd 1951.

I have some notes on films at the Coli from 1945 to 1951, and I can't see any reference to The Fighting Sullivans, though this film was released in 1944 and starred Anne Baxter and Thomas Mitchell. In fact, this film was originally realeased as The Sullivans, and the 'Fighting' was added when it was re-released (I don't know the year that happened).

It may be of interest to anyone interested in the Coliseum's early post-war wera and the films of John Wayne to know that Wayne's films screened at the Coli between Nov 1947 and May 1951 were:

Nov 47 Angel and the Badman

Nov 49 Wake of the Red Witch

Jan 1950 Three Godfathers

March 1950 Dark Command

March 1950 New Frontier

Oct 1950 The Fighting Kentuckian

May 1951 Sands of Iwo Jima.

Does anybody have any memories of the gangster films that featured the Bowery and the East Side Kids? I saw a number of these at the Coliseum in the 1950s, and one of them (I don't know which) featured a scene in which someone looked at a line of mug shots (obviously pictures of members of a gang) hidden under the counter of a shop. I haven't a clue what it was about, but for some reason that scene has always stuck in my memory!

Re notes from Falls and rf2690 about John Wayne films, Sand of Iwo Jima was at the Coliseum for four days from May 2nd 1951.

I have some notes on films at the Coli from 1945 to 1951, and I can't see any reference to The Fighting Sullivans, though this film was released in 1944 and starred Anne Baxter and Thomas Mitchell. In fact, this film was originally realeased as The Sullivans, and the 'Fighting' was added when it was re-released (I don't know the year that happened).

It may be of interest to anyone interested in the Coliseum's early post-war wera and the films of John Wayne to know that Wayne's films screened at the Coli between Nov 1947 and May 1951 were:

Nov 47 Angel and the Badman

Nov 49 Wake of the Red Witch

Jan 1950 Three Godfathers

March 1950 Dark Command

March 1950 New Frontier

Oct 1950 The Fighting Kentuckian

May 1951 Sands of Iwo Jima.

Does anybody have any memories of the gangster films that featured the Bowery and the East Side Kids? I saw a number of these at the Coliseum in the 1950s, and one of them (I don't know which) featured a scene in which someone looked at a line of mug shots (obviously pictures of members of a gang) hidden under the counter of a shop. I haven't a clue what it was about, but for some reason that scene has always stuck in my memory!

I always thought it was the Bowery Boys & the Dead End Kids.

Nice bit of information there Falls. Did you ever get to go around the ship at Buffalo?

The film you refer to about Guadalcanal could've been 'Guadalcanal Diary', featuring at least Lloyd Nolan and perhaps Preston Foster? Big John wasn't in that one, that I know for sure.

Another couple of cinemas named after ancient Roman places could be the Forum and the Capitol.

But the question remains, in which film did Big John get the gangreneous leg?

The 'Sullivans' movie I could've seen that at the Wicker. But then again cinemas were always dark inside.

Archived