Coliseum, Spital Hill

Redfyre

I used to frequent a lot of the old cinemas in the 50's and 60's, but can't for the life of me remember where this one was.

I can't think of it either jmdee :confused: I was an usherette at the one near Coles..forget the name, I hated it when I had to stand there with the tray and sell ice cream when the llights came up,they attacked me like vultures :hihi:, I gave all the wrong change out, then ended up just handing out the ice creams to get rid of everybody , oh! and I did get the sack after a few weeks...don't know why :confused:

Bloody itchy uniform too!

I can't think of it either jmdee :confused: I was an usherette at the one near Coles..forget the name, I hated it when I had to stand there with the tray and sell ice cream when the llights came up,they attacked me like vultures :hihi:, I gave all the wrong change out, then ended up just handing out the ice creams to get rid of everybody , oh! and I did get the sack after a few weeks...don't know why :confused:

Bloody itchy uniform too!

Was it the Gaumont with the Cinema house opposite.

Hi Kidorry,

I was thinking of the East Side Kids who were in the 1946 Coli films Muggs Rides Again, Docks of New York, and Follow Your leader; but, course, there was also the Bowery Boys and Dead End Kids of Angels With Dirty Faces, They Made Me A Criminal etc. Then, of course, there were the films about the Bowery that starred George Raft, Wallace Beery, etc. A fascinating mix of black-and-white films that seemed so good to kids in the pre-TV era!

Keep the Coliseum memories coming.

Hi Kidorry,

The last show at the Coliseum was on Nov 2 1963 when the double bill featured The Horse Without A Head and Savage Sam.

The old theatre organ that was once a famous feature of the Coli from 1921 to 1934 was later installed in a church near Worksop. Anyone know which church?

Just remembered another movie I saw at the Coli' 'A Night at the Opera', the Marx Brothers.

Once you start thinking about the old movies, and where you first saw them, the memories come thick and fast. For instance 'Champion', 'Phantom of the Opera', saw them at the Don on West Bar. 'The Outlaw', 'Maltese Falcon', at the Wicker. 'Man in Half Moon St' at the Sunbeam. Leo Gorcey and the East Side kids, all over the place.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody had any relatives who worked at the Coliseum? The cinema used to close for one day in July every year for the annual staff outing? I wonder where they went, and whether the boss paid. Moreover, when they got to where they were going, did they go see a film!

Archived