Is it Derry or Londonderry?

I don't suppose anyone watched the programme with famous people from Northern Ireland this week about the troubles.

It brought back so many good and bad memories from my time over there during the seventies!!

I would call it a dump.

Hey come on now. This is Sheffield Forum. Ever been to Rotherham? Doncaster? Barnsley? and here in Sheffield itself we have some splendidly beautiful areas in the north of the city. You should see the sunset over Tinsley. Anywhere's going to seem likje a dump to us.

When I served aboard HMS Naiad back in 1965, our ship was the flotilla leader of what was known as the Derry Squadron. I knew the city well, and liked it. I never met many citizens, either protestant or catholic, who called it Londonderry. It became an issue only when the troubles fired up a little later, fired up by Ian Paisley and Bernadette Devlin.

I had to smile the other day whilst watching the Derry City versus Linfield footie match on Setanta.

This statement raises three possibilities

a) you support one of the teams

b) you are a massive football fan who will watch anything

c) you were very bored

I darseay you will point out a d) but I am struggling right now. :)

I don't suppose anyone watched the programme with famous people from Northern Ireland this week about the troubles.

It brought back so many good and bad memories from my time over there during the seventies!!

I used to date a girl from Norn Iron, and in her words, "there's no London in Londonderry let me tell yee"

I shut up soon after.

Northern Ireland is an interesting place to go as an Englishmen. It is a charming, friendly and vibrant city. As an ignorant novice, you go there thinking you will be beaten up just for having an English accent. It couldn't be further from the truth. You still have to be careful what you say though. I remember my date punching me hard in the arm on a taxi ride after I said 'In the name of the father' was a good film.

This statement raises three possibilities

a) you support one of the teams

b) you are a massive football fan who will watch anything

c) you were very bored

I darseay you will point out a d) but I am struggling right now. :)

b and c - because it was 0-4 after about 25 minutes and so the game was up and held little further interest for the neutral.

Setanta Cup final tonight on TV Cork v Glentoran.

b and c - because it was 0-4 after about 25 minutes and so the game was up and held little further interest for the neutral.

Setanta Cup final tonight on TV Cork v Glentoran.

Aren't you getting mixed up with Cliftonville versus the great unwashed!!!

I shall be watching the final today, come on the wee Glens, realistically we haven't got a prayer but you never know in football.

I blame the dodgy ref in the semi!!!

Archived