Is it Derry or Londonderry?

This statement raises three possibilities

a) you support one of the teams

b) you are a massive football fan who will watch anything

c) you were very bored

I darseay you will point out a d) but I am struggling right now. :)

Definitely not A, little bit of B although I'm sure there was other footie on that was of a higher standard, but more so D as I was intrigued to see how welcome the Derry supporters made the followers of the great unwashed!!

Aren't you getting mixed up with Cliftonville versus the great unwashed!!!

Yes, sorry, not even a senior moment - I hadn't gone far enough back.

Cliftonville it sure was, from North Belfast. Passed the ground en-route to the castle!

My daughter did a group presentation on Glentoran in her final year of her Football Management degree so we'll go with them.

I was born in Derry and lived there til i was 6, and have always called it Derry. But that is really probably just becasue it's what my parents called it, and more really because Londonderry can be a bit of a mouthful! I have no interest in religion or politics, just something I have always said.

Interestingly though, because I have dual nationality, and therefore have 2 passports, one states that I was born in Londonderry, Co. Londonderry, and the other, Derry, Co.Derry (or Doire, as it is in gaelic.)

Never bothered me what you call it, to be honest. What bothers me is that when people ask me where i'm from, 90% of the time, the next question is, "so, you must be a catholic then?". I could rant for ages on that, but not the time, not the place, and defiantely not worth the effort! x

The funny irony for me in this relates to my time growing up in bigoted Belfast (both sides).

There was a song sung by the Protestants/Unionist called "We'll guard old Derrys walls", for people so adamant about calling it Londonderry I find the irony of this being sung by them amusing.

Maybe thats because the time which the song refers to it was still called Derry? A bit like the Turks singinging about guarding the walls of Constantinople and not Istanbul?

It is my understanding that the City is still called Londonderry but the City Council is called Derry City Council. This may seem strange but Hull City Council is the city council for a City the official name of which is Kingston upon Hull, not Hull, for example. The county is called Londonderry legally speaking but the GAA teams will be called Derry, for example. Those are the legal positions but people will choose to call things what they like.

Archived