The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

So far Cask Ales sales have been way above anything else, with sales of bottles of wine in 2nd place. Cask Ales in our cellar at present and all coming online are John Smiths, Adnams Broadside, St Austell Tribute, Batemans XXXB, Sheffield Brewery Five Rivers, Abbeydale Absolution, Sheffield Brewery Fiery Jack, Fullers London Pride, Youngs Special, Shepheard Neame Spitfire, and an old fave Old Speckled Hen...

YORK GHOST, the beer brewed especially for us by Sheff Brewery Co, is online for the weekend so be sure to check that one out....

Plus we have Addlestones Cider on handpull which is a superb 'real' cider.....

XXXB .Havent had that for years !!

Smashing .Reckon i might have to pop in and have a look.

Its the 2nd best selling cask ale at the moment here, topped only by Broadside. A personal fave of mine too:) Actually its almost gone this batch and wont be back for a week or 2 but I am sure we can tempt you with something else on offer at the bar...its all fine stuff.

Popped down to Broomhill for a couple of pints last night. Tavern had a few in but wasn't packed - is it possible a regular poster on this thread was in there?

My first visit to the New York so here's my twopennethworth:

My beer and that of my two companions was good, well served and nicely presented. Was an unusual and welcome touch to get bitter served in a barrel glass.

The pub isn't yet fully 'finished' but it is almost there. A few final touches and some more stuff on the walls still to go, but what is there is nice and appears to have been done with care.

I didn't like the Purple Falls personally. Lilac is a bit of a cold colour, and there is a lot of it. It's a bit 'much'. I'd prefer something more traditional and warmer.

The music sounded like one of those compilation cassettes you bought your Dad to play in the car. Rock Hits of the 80's. Quite cheesy but not unpleasant as a one off. Might grate if it was the regular music du jour.

There weren't too many in, but I am sure this will change as more people realise it's a proper pub once again.

Walked past the F&D which was heaving. Haven't liked the feel of it since the last re-fit. Seems more like a common room than a pub in the main bar area.

Finished off in the Notty. A few in, nice atmosphere as usual.

Called in yesterday lunch time (12th November) and enjoyed a couple of pints of Bateman XXXB (good but not as good as at the New Barrack Tavern). Still, a decent pint served in a grandad pint pot.

The place can only be described as cavernous; it's huge. Love the big windows and it's nice to be able to see out. The flooring, especially the tiling is superb but lack of soft furnishings meant that when the wife and I played on the Simpsons pinball (we both got replays!) we made a right racket!!

It's looking promising and it was nice to get a decent pint in there - first time in too long.

My beer and that of my two companions was good, well served and nicely presented. Was an unusual and welcome touch to get bitter served in a barrel glass.

The pub isn't yet fully 'finished' but it is almost there.

I didn't like the Purple Falls personally. Lilac is a bit of a cold colour, and there is a lot of it. It's a bit 'much'. I'd prefer something more traditional and warmer.

The music sounded like one of those compilation cassettes you bought your Dad to play in the car. Rock Hits of the 80's. Quite cheesy but not unpleasant as a one off. Might grate if it was the regular music du jour.

It was quiet in Broomhill last night, me and Matt my bar supervisor went out on a pub crawl, doing the Fox, Notty and Tavern, and we were all fairly quiet but then it was a Wednesday and raining and freezing cold......

The jukebox broke down last night so we had a CD player on and it just happened to be greatest rock hits of the 80's type compilation as that is all we had to hand.......I wondered why no one has CD jukeboxes anymore and why there are so many on Ebay all the time....when they break down they do it with style and refuse to do anything at all......hope to get a repair in the next day or so on this, because I dont really want to resort to a background music system like all other Broomhill Pubs seem to have.....

taking on board colour comments...any suggestions you have feel free to post as I may get the 2 front rooms to change wall colour subject to opinions....

The place can only be described as cavernous; it's huge. Love the big windows and it's nice to be able to see out. The flooring, especially the tiling is superb but lack of soft furnishings meant that when the wife and I played on the Simpsons pinball (we both got replays!) we made a right racket!!

It's looking promising and it was nice to get a decent pint in there - first time in too long.

Yes it actually is massive...I personally would like to put back most of the original side wall of the pub and turn those shop windows back into one lock up retail unit, and lose the right hand bit of the bar as it really doesn't serve much purpose....Keeping the kitchen of course and the rear doors to the beer garden.....I always thought adding the shops into the pub which was done in 97 made it TOO big...

More furniture is to come......

Yes it actually is massive...I personally would like to put back most of the original side wall of the pub and turn those shop windows back into one lock up retail unit, and lose the right hand bit of the bar as it really doesn't serve much purpose....Keeping the kitchen of course and the rear doors to the beer garden.....I always thought adding the shops into the pub which was done in 97 made it TOO big...

More furniture is to come......

That is exactly what crossed my mind!

As the place is so huge it could afford to lose the part which used to be a shop. It would probably help the heating costs too which I'd imagine will be rather high.

Some nice tall potted plants would look nice in the pub!!

It was quiet in Broomhill last night, but then it was a Wednesday and raining and freezing cold......

The jukebox broke down last night so we had a CD player on and it just happened to be greatest rock hits of the 80's type compilation as that is all we had to hand. I dont really want to resort to a background music system like all other Broomhill Pubs seem to have.....

taking on board colour comments...any suggestions you have feel free to post as I may get the 2 front rooms to change wall colour subject to opinions....

It certainly was cold and wet. Like I said, the music wasn't so awful. A well stocked jukebox can be a great addition to a pub - though does need occasional policing, not least from me! Music at a reasonable level is better than no music, especially on a quiet night.

The area 'beyond' the bar is a bit of a waste. I guess it would only be used as standing room on very busy nights. Maybe you should poll what could be done with it? Is there room for a pool table?

As for colour, I would say warmer, earthier colours, reds. Then again, if I think of my fave pubs like Fagans, KIT, Rutland (as was, sadly missed) D&P, bar room of the Fat Cat, none of them are red in the least :hihi: A mix of white (or off white) and some stronger colour is usually a good combo though.

The area 'beyond' the bar is a bit of a waste. I guess it would only be used as standing room on very busy nights. Maybe you should poll what could be done with it? Is there room for a pool table?

No, but there's room for a giant Twister, you know, the plastic mat with different colours on where you've got to land on certain colours.

Played with merry members of the opposite sex, it would certainly warm up any miserable evening.:hihi:

Go on, I'll even throw in a bottle of baby oil to liven things up.

Archived