The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

Is that video posted anywhere? I'd be dead interested to have a look :)

Ade

Not at the present, am converting it to DVD first....its a full 2 hour recording with a video cam stood on the window sill in the former back room (now the girls toilets), showing the bar and dartboard area, etc.....and the final 'time at the bar' when it closes down before it re-opens in Jan 96 as O Neills...its great....will try and get a quick edit version up on you tube in the next day or so with the highlights.....Landlord supplies table full of food and the pub is packed out with old regulars, its amazing....a real time capsule.....credit to Paul who loaned me the tape, and was a York regular in the 80's and 90's....it is poss the ONLY available bit of history about this pub before it shut down for 7 weeks at the end of 95......I saw faces I have not seen for 12 years or more, and probably who have not been back in the York since it shut in 95 for that very dreaded O Neills refurb which non of the locals wanted at all, but which Bass went ahead and did anyway.......as a smaller pub before it took over the shops next door, its better...and how I wish I could make it back like it was then!!!!!

The green spotted wallpaper 'underneath the arches' was there back in 1980, amazed it survived until 95!!! And several original archways have vanished since the O Neills refurb.....

TWISTER can indeed by great fun........perhaps its a little too raucous though for the type of establishment we have become.......but I can remember some hysterical twister games at parties!!!!!!
You weren't at the one where I had the board and did away with the mat were you?

Mr Strix nearly fell out with me over that one :confused: No idea why. His mates seemed to be having a wild time :D

Not at the present, am converting it to DVD first....its a full 2 hour recording with a video cam stood on the window sill in the former back room (now the girls toilets), showing the bar and dartboard area, etc.....and the final 'time at the bar' when it closes down before it re-opens in Jan 96 as O Neills...its great....will try and get a quick edit version up on you tube in the next day or so with the highlights.....Landlord supplies table full of food and the pub is packed out with old regulars, its amazing....a real time capsule.....credit to Paul who loaned me the tape, and was a York regular in the 80's and 90's....it is poss the ONLY available bit of history about this pub before it shut down for 7 weeks at the end of 95......I saw faces I have not seen for 12 years or more, and probably who have not been back in the York since it shut in 95 for that very dreaded O Neills refurb which non of the locals wanted at all, but which Bass went ahead and did anyway.......as a smaller pub before it took over the shops next door, its better...and how I wish I could make it back like it was then!!!!!

The green spotted wallpaper 'underneath the arches' was there back in 1980, amazed it survived until 95!!! And several original archways have vanished since the O Neills refurb.....

Can't wait to see it - would love to see the whole thing actually, as I should know the people on tape :) Can't remember if I was in on the last night of the York - was certainly in on first night of O'Neill's, and was in the last night of the York of the previous landlord.

Ade

I didn't like the Purple Falls personally. Lilac is a bit of a cold colour, and there is a lot of it. It's a bit 'much'. I'd prefer something more traditional and warmer.

Went in last night, and to be fair, there's a sign saying that all is not finished, but it still is a bit nasty (brown ceiling patches, poor paint finishes etc) and the colour is a bit too much and dare I say it, a bit dated......!

But good luck to you, I'll continue to pop in whenever I'm in Broomhill, and next time I hope there are some more peeps in there to get some atmos going!

Went in last night, and to be fair, there's a sign saying that all is not finished, but it still is a bit nasty (brown ceiling patches, poor paint finishes etc) and the colour is a bit too much and dare I say it, a bit dated......!

But good luck to you, I'll continue to pop in whenever I'm in Broomhill, and next time I hope there are some more peeps in there to get some atmos going!

The building was a terrible mess when we got it, and I mean that in every sense of the word, having been seriousld y neglected .....just decorating for example was not as simple as you might think....most of the plaster was coming off, and part of the ceiling came down with the weight of fresh coat of paint on it...the pub wiring was HIDEOUS (like the old Dove and Rainbow was) and resembled the work of a demented spider on drugs.....it took us over 14 days to get all of the lights to work properly without tripping swithces, etc and involved taking up half the floor upstairs to sort out the wiring mess created by previous refurbishments...quite how the pub traded in the last few years we do not know at all

so much past neglect here has created a whole lot more work than I ever imagined......trying to undo the damage done by the last 2 BODGED refurbs is incredibly difficult as they were done with no regard to long term condition of the building and also covered over many problems too.....

I have yet to see any Corporate pub refurb that does NOT damage or seriously disfigure the original building, and one which does NOT 'paper over' serious problems and leave them to be discovered 7 years later in all their horrific glory.....I wont catelogue all of these, but lets say its a LOT of ongoing work, bit by bit.....

Having said that, I was aware of all that from day one, and would never take on ANY pub that was NOT a really serious challenge and a total mess of bodged refurbs......the idea of taking on a pub that needs NOTHING doing is a nightmare to me...seriously, I would rather take the semi-derelict ones and take things day by day until it was right......

Take me back to 1995 someone........:)

Can't wait to see it - would love to see the whole thing actually, as I should know the people on tape :) Can't remember if I was in on the last night of the York - was certainly in on first night of O'Neill's, and was in the last night of the York of the previous landlord.

Ade

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0HO4zNxrpEE

quick preview here I put on U tube....this is the final part, leading up to time at the bar Sunday 12th november 1995...quality is fair but it is all I can find...

popped in on tuesday afternoon for a quick pint with the mrs and had a lovely pint of john smiths cast.

Not 100% sure about the colour of the walls if im honest but i like the place- far better than the (old)york which was horrible!!

popped in on tuesday afternoon for a quick pint with the mrs and had a lovely pint of john smiths cast.

Not 100% sure about the colour of the walls if im honest but i like the place- far better than the (old)york which was horrible!!

Looking back at the old Scream pix of the York I have to agree with you....I had not realized just how dilapidated and 'past it' it was until you look at side by side pix of the same views before and after, which I will put up on the web site next week......

Archived