The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

Really sorry to be negative but popped in for a drink on Thursday evening and hated the decor, I know it is yet to be finished but it currently feels like a students front room, the lilac colour is hideous and really shows up how bad the walls are underneath.

I guess once the place has curtains (also hated the black gloss paint on huge gorgeous windows) better pictures on the walls and a few more punters it could be better but I was really disappointed as never used it when was scream either.

One positive - liked the stone flooring and staff!

F&D still best of a bad bunch for me

Really sorry to be negative but popped in for a drink on Thursday evening and hated the decor, I know it is yet to be finished but it currently feels like a students front room, the lilac colour is hideous and really shows up how bad the walls are underneath.

Really? I always thought the Scream decor looked like a students bedroom....oh well, cant win them all:)

yes the walls ARE bad.......but nothing I can do at the present time.....most people seem to like it though.....

I guess once the place has curtains (also hated the black gloss paint on huge gorgeous windows) better pictures on the walls and a few more punters it could be better but I was really disappointed as never used it when was scream either.

One positive - liked the stone flooring and staff!

F&D still best of a bad bunch for me

Sadly I would agree with that review was in the other night and we thought it lacked atmosphere and the colour of the paint was frankly dire.

Hopefully will be good once its finished as we have had many good nights in the Dove.

I think it looked alot better as a scream pub. The lilac paint has to go and who decided on the black widow frames!? You should paint it in a warmer colour, at the moment it looks empty and depressing, not the kind of place you want to drink in. If you changed the colour or atleast put something on the walls to distract drinkers then it would go down a treat. The old york had a warm, friendly, welcoming feel to it, the new york however is cold, unwelcoming and barron. How's business going anyway??

I think it looked alot better as a scream pub. The lilac paint has to go and who decided on the black widow frames!? You should paint it in a warmer colour, at the moment it looks empty and depressing, not the kind of place you want to drink in. If you changed the colour or atleast put something on the walls to distract drinkers then it would go down a treat. The old york had a warm, friendly, welcoming feel to it, the new york however is cold, unwelcoming and barron. How's business going anyway??

No one who has come into the York and who has talked to either me or Dawn or the staff has had a bad word to say about the colour. Management and staff have been interrogating customers as to their opinion over the last 2 weeks, so in proportion the AGAINST the colour is only about 1% taking into account the 'live' comments in the pub and the forum reviews.....but I am happy to evaluate suggestions as to colour for the next decoration...

Also the condition of the window frames is pretty poor, despite some professional repairs, so to have painted them a lighter colour would reveal a lot of imperfections. I would rather keep the original frames than replace them with ghastly modern sealed units.....Pubs this age can be money pits if you start trying to rectify absolutely everything that is not perfect......it takes time to evolve...plus its a VERY big Pub with a lot of quirky rooms and corners....and therefore quite difficult to work with in terms of decor and furnishings....

Normally (if such a word can be used in this economic climate) a pub which has been closed for a while takes about 3 months to get up to steam, and a further 9 months to fully develop the 'regular' trade and full potential. Considering food is not available yet, and we have been open just 2 weeks, trade has been much better than I predicted for this site. Friday night we were rammed at one point, busier than the average weekend of the former Scream pub during the last 2 years, with trade measurably growing on a daily basis....the large daytime volume of customers coming in asking about food indicates significant growth when we commence food ASAP pending kitchen refurbishment....generally I am happy with the pub and we have reached targets I was not expecting to hit this early....

Yes there is plenty of room for improvements, but then nothing is ever perfect and I would not want it to be either......all pubs should be continually evolving.....

Fair play, I guess you've got to work with what you had and i'm sure that pubs can be a big drain on money. I fail to see how anyone could like the colour of the walls and i'm sure customers are more likely to voice negative rather than positive comments. Good to see you've put some pictures on the walls to break it up a bit and it'll be good once you get some sofas in. Good luck with Business and with attracting the regulars back into the york.

Fair play, I guess you've got to work with what you had and i'm sure that pubs can be a big drain on money. I fail to see how anyone could like the colour of the walls and i'm sure customers are more likely to voice negative rather than positive comments. Good to see you've put some pictures on the walls to break it up a bit and it'll be good once you get some sofas in. Good luck with Business and with attracting the regulars back into the york.

I think to be fair ANY colour will have its share of people who don't 'relate' to it....I personally cannot bear the colours lime green, silver or dark maroon, but that's just a personal thing....other people probably love them.....:) its all relative...

More things going on walls soon, curtains on all the windows going up next week too which will break up and contrast the decor more....sofas are planned.....the dart board have been very popular indeed and does something with a previously dead space corner.....

I think to be fair ANY colour will have its share of people who don't 'relate' to it....I personally cannot bear the colours lime green, silver or dark maroon, but that's just a personal thing....other people probably love them.....:) its all relative...

More things going on walls soon, curtains on all the windows going up next week too which will break up and contrast the decor more....sofas are planned.....the dart board have been very popular indeed and does something with a previously dead space corner.....

Was in saturday night,

quite like it to be honest, good beer and liked the proper pint glasses as well!

Christ i felt old with the odd gang of students knocking round

Especially like the 12pm closing time.

That should be advertised in sodding great letters outside imho.

Ever though about using the spare space where the pool table was to put up a disco ball or something......

Prehaps a TV in one of the corners or one of the walls wouldn't go amiss.

you can get a 42inch plamsa for £600 from currys these days.

Was in saturday night,

quite like it to be honest, good beer and liked the proper pint glasses as well!

Christ i felt old with the odd gang of students knocking round

Especially like the 12pm closing time.

That should be advertised in sodding great letters outside imho.

Ever though about using the spare space where the pool table was to put up a disco ball or something......

Prehaps a TV in one of the corners or one of the walls wouldn't go amiss.

you can get a 42inch plamsa for £600 from currys these days.

Disco ball???? Er.....no......but possibly some tables and chairs:hihi:

TV..... all licences, Sky, etc were removed with the Scream Pub, it cost a fortune these days to have TV in pubs..... it does run into many thousands a year now.... 6 pubs in Broomhill and 5 of them have TV, at least 3 I believe have Sky Sports, Setanta, etc, so not sure if there is a demand for TV here......we got rid of the TV screen and Sky at the Dove and Rainbow and trade, far from dropping off, went way up....I see the York more as a traditional drinking and socializing pub, without the intrusion of TV.....but we will see how things evolve.....

Midnight closing applies Fri/Sat at the moment, it will be 11.30 ish other nights, we are playing it as it comes......carefully monitoring who is coming in when most other pubs have shut to see what we will do in the future....

Update on cask at the York, we have on handpull:

JOHN SMITHS BITTER, ADNAMS BROADSIDE, SHEPHERD NEAME SPITFIRE, YOUNGS SPECIAL ALE, OLD SPECKLED HEN, ABBEYDALE RIOT, ADDLESTONES CIDER

and coming soon

WYCHWOOD DOGS ********, ABBEYDALE ABSOLUTION,HARVIESTOUNS BITTER AND TWISTED SHEFF BREWERY SEVEN HILLS, and plenty of those Xmas cask specials coming soon too TBA

We are still fervently addressing the kitchen issue.....it needs a total refit after being seriously neglected ...it was actually condemned by the Council last week which means food is further delayed until the whole thing is rebuilt and certified....

the scary thing is anyone eating Scream pub food in the past at the York was effectively eating from dirty filthy kitchen that was seriously overdue for an inspection... we are talking at least many MONTHS of neglect, if not years....OUCH!!! yet another negative legacy of Scream pubs, but fortunately the mother Company of Scream Pubs, Mitchells and Butler, have agreed to pay for a complete new kitchen.....so rest assured, only the highest quality food will be served at the York.....

I think the next Scream Pub that comes on the market in Sheffield I will AVOID based on this experience...

But having said all that, I love the York.....and its all being put right:)

Archived