The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

Have you considered doing what the F&D does. Saturday afternoon I was eating Fish & Chips in the F&D from the friery whilst having a coffee (along with the 50 people I brought with me).

We allow own food at the present, well until next week anyway when we open the kitchens for food......we have a classic traditional range of home cooked food available from next week with daily specials too:)

Fair enough. I'm likely to be back in again at some point with the club, I'm still not convinced about the colour though, a few people asked if we'd accidentally gone to a gay bar... Okay, they were playing it up to be funny, but I saw where they were coming from.

Fair enough. I'm likely to be back in again at some point with the club, I'm still not convinced about the colour though, a few people asked if we'd accidentally gone to a gay bar... Okay, they were playing it up to be funny, but I saw where they were coming from.

Odd that, because when I was in London last week, the first place my wife and I went for a drink was, in fact, a gay bar. Unsuspecting as we were when we entered, the disapproving glances my wife got, the absence of women, and the pictures & statues of naked men gave it away.

But the walls weren't lilac/purple :)

So far from visits to the York, Friday actually seems - to me - significantly busier than Saturdays.

Ade

Odd that, because when I was in London last week, the first place my wife and I went for a drink was, in fact, a gay bar. Unsuspecting as we were when we entered, the disapproving glances my wife got, the absence of women, and the pictures & statues of naked men gave it away.

But the walls weren't lilac/purple :)

So far from visits to the York, Friday actually seems - to me - significantly busier than Saturdays.

Ade

I was not aware purple was considered to be 'gay'.....I just happen to like that colour and find it very restful and 'mood' enhancing.....as far as I am aware the definitive gay colour is probably pink (no offence intended to any one who may this a stereotypical statement) which is quite far removed from purple falls, the colour of the York.....

yes Fridays have been busier than Sats to date.......this seems to follow across all pubs in Broomhill, its generally quieter on Saturday nights.....no obvious reason for this I can see....in town we are always busier on Saturdays than Fridays, the complete reverse of the trend.....

yes Fridays have been busier than Sats to date.......this seems to follow across all pubs in Broomhill, its generally quieter on Saturday nights.....no obvious reason for this I can see....in town we are always busier on Saturdays than Fridays, the complete reverse of the trend.....

I like purple too - very relaxing sort of colour. And I'm far from gay. I sure as hell would not have pink walls though - that would be a bit camp and stark.

The idea of going into town on a Friday night after a week at work does not appeal to me. However, if I am going out on a Friday I'll more than likely stay local. Whereas on a Saturday I've had a day to do nothing so will more likely feel like venturing into town. Could explain the trend?!

It's lilac, not purple.

I don't think that the colour is considered to be gay per se (hey I'm a poet). And I have a similar colour in my dining room. I was just passing on the comments from the people I was with. I hadn't actually noticed the colour myself until it was pointed out.

Maybe you should just ask a few people now and then what they think of the colour (or just what they think in general).... How about those little comment cards so that people aren't put on the spot.

If the colour is fine, then great, if it's putting people off, then a few tins of paint and a brush will improve your trade.

The colour is garish and makes the pub feel cold and uninviting. I must say that the old York colour scheme (yellow and burgundy) was far better, which is really saying something!! A neutral colour would suffice, or if you want to push the boat out how about a nice pale blue. The fact that people are still commenting on the colour, with the majority of it being negative, surely shows that the colour isn't favourable with most people.

I think this colour is great, even though I've not seen it. I've been meaning to venture up to Broomhill for the past few weeks. Next time I'm there, I'm going to have to go to the York because I'm determined to see this bloody wall for myself!

Our walls seem to change colour depending on the light!!! because we have quite extensive lighting in there now, it can appear almost 'luminous' from outside....its very odd.....in the day it seems darker and more purple than light purple, if you see what i mean....I am a poet too of course.

Views on colour are still 98% in favour of it...the students seem to love it, we have lots of 'house groups' in drinking wine and they compliment us and say how much better it is than before.....

Let me take you back in time when it was painted BRIGHT YELLOW all over, from around 2001 to 2005,everything inside was that awful luminous Scream yellow paint, walls, ceilings, woodwork, bar staff......sunglasses were essential:hihi:

Archived