The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

It's great to see The York getting an overhaul...even better that it's getting some decent beer in. I'm part of a gang of ex-York locals that currently drink in 'The Place' (Which I have no real affinity to). What would entice me back to the York (and maybe some of the other ex-Yorkies) is good beer, good atmosphere and maybe a price discount (if it's being offered to student). Wish you well in your venture.

Mike

good luck fleece, i dont know the pub but i remember the pubs in the late 80s/early 90s (which obviously are pre what changes you stated with this pub BRRRRR)

i love traditional pubs rathert han these "chain" pubs like weatherspoons, walkabouts, oneils etc

It's great to see The York getting an overhaul...even better that it's getting some decent beer in. I'm part of a gang of ex-York locals that currently drink in 'The Place' (Which I have no real affinity to). What would entice me back to the York (and maybe some of the other ex-Yorkies) is good beer, good atmosphere and maybe a price discount (if it's being offered to student). Wish you well in your venture.

Mike

Good beer and atmos we certainly hope to provide, but no student discounts...all prices are standard, more or less the same as all Broomhill Pubs to keep things uniform. I expect to offer some cask ales at £2.20 rising to about £2.60 for some of the others which is pretty standard pricing.

Yes I know there are huge swathes of x locals of the York that drink in the Fox and Duck ET AL, all deserted the York when it was' Screamed'. I do hope

the new York will be inviting to those former regulars, as we certainly are pitching ourselves at a different market to Scream Pubs.

I must confess I'm beginning to take a shine to the green cladding outside....,

(Seriously, I am looking forward to visiting the pub which 22 years ago I classed as my local, even though I lived toward Fulwood.)

Scaffolding SHOULD be down by Friday....fingers crossed......most outside work is nearly done, just the inside the lick into shape.....sanding floor today and new bar fitted tomorrow.....we are getting there and its been a long haul....

Scaffolding SHOULD be down by Friday....fingers crossed......most outside work is nearly done, just the inside the lick into shape.....sanding floor today and new bar fitted tomorrow.....we are getting there and its been a long haul....

Hoorah! We're all looking forward to the re-opening :)

Ade

Hoorah! We're all looking forward to the re-opening :)

Ade

.....its all hands on deck to get it ready....see you at the weekend I hope.......sanding the floors now and varnishing later tonight after fitting the new bar....it should all come together in the next 3 days at last.........not worked so hard since the frantic 4 day refurb of the Dove and Rainbow 2 years ago, this is a far bigger project and I am totally shattered........I will need a pint!!!!!

hee hee.....

on the york site there will be pix and videos of the refurb, just put one up taken earlier, shows Dawn and Kevin attempting to repair the Mosaic floor in one of the front rooms.....we uncovered it yesterday....

http://www.the-york.com/refurb08.html

I only went in the York a few times before it was turned into O' Neills. Once it was cod Irish I only went in under sufferance. But I certainly don't remember that mosaic floor.

If you can get the mosaic and the slate floor all sorted out it's gonna look beautiful. Can't view the last few images on the site - probs blocked at work :confused:

Good luck with it all!

Archived