The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

I certainly don't remember that mosaic floor.

If you can get the mosaic and the slate floor all sorted out it's gonna look beautiful. Can't view the last few images on the site - probs blocked at work :confused:

Good luck with it all!

More pix and vids on the site later tonight...just got home covered in paint from head to foot AGAIN!!!!

One of the building contractors who worked on the York O' Neills project claims the floor was O'Neills, but no one else seems to agree with that, so therefore we must assume its much older.....back in 1980 when I first drank here it certainly was carpeted over, and possibly long before that too....but the possibility it is part of the original 1850 building is debatable...it could have been added some time later....

Slate floor needs a real clean up, hopefully doing that soon....the sanded wooden floor in the rest of the Pub looks gorgeous, and its now being varnished........

Mosaic flooring? Where's Tony Robinson and Mick Aston?!

Just two other words and a question mark:

Cameron Strongarm?

Strongarm will certainly feature but not sure if its on from day one...so tired...I need a bath, a beer and a curry.....

The mosaic is covered over with protective floor while we work on the walls, but will be exposed and cleaned and sealed again shortly...

and the Time Team would have a fit if they saw how it was treated in the past as far from just carpeting over it and leaving it intact, someone GLUED horrible thin and splintery wooden boarding to it, all over it, resulting in 100+ tiles being cracked and ripped up when we eased off the boarding, and also inserted huge NAILS through several areas of the wooden bordering to make sure the modern surface would probably never come off EVER!!!!!

It took a full day to get the boarding up, and it looked fairly modern boarding, probably 1997 when it was 'O'Neilled'.... they may have exposed the mosaic floor by accident when riupping up old carpets, which is what one of the builders might have meant....but then proceeded to almost destroy it with glue and nails......we were patient enough to slowly and painfully prise off the boarding and rescue the mosaic....any faster and it would have been totally destroyed.

More pix and vids on the site later tonight...just got home covered in paint from head to foot AGAIN!!!!

One of the building contractors who worked on the York O' Neills project claims the floor was O'Neills, but no one else seems to agree with that, so therefore we must assume its much older.....back in 1980 when I first drank here it certainly was carpeted over, and possibly long before that too....but the possibility it is part of the original 1850 building is debatable...it could have been added some time later....

Slate floor needs a real clean up, hopefully doing that soon....the sanded wooden floor in the rest of the Pub looks gorgeous, and its now being varnished........

I'm not good with the pics, but as a regular since 81/82, I'll see if I can remember it when I see it face-to-face :)

Ade

.....its all hands on deck to get it ready....see you at the weekend I hope.......sanding the floors now and varnishing later tonight after fitting the new bar....it should all come together in the next 3 days at last.........not worked so hard since the frantic 4 day refurb of the Dove and Rainbow 2 years ago, this is a far bigger project and I am totally shattered........I will need a pint!!!!!

I'll buy you one on Friday if you remember to tell me :)

Ade

g/f

The New Barrack Tavern across from my business on Penistone Road (how handy) removed an old carpet in their hallway/bar area and discovered mosaic tiling. They managed to repair it where nails and glue had ruined it and it has come up looking superb.

The flooring adds to the character of a place like the NBT and it most certainly will to The York!

Looks like another trip to the NBT then purely for 'educational' purposes then?

Archived