The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

You don't look old enough!!

Definitely remember the floor......it's in the area where the jukebox used to be (Sunday nights playing '9 to 5' and 'New York, New York')....it's all coming back to me now :)

there is a pic of that jukebox here..

http://www.the-york.com/history1.html

bottom of page

now that pic was taken November 1980 and it was a carpeted floor then, I swear to it, red patterned one....like the wallpaper.....at least unless my mind is going bonkers!!!:loopy:

I used to play Ashes to Ashes by Bowie all the time on that jukebox....the landlord, Derek, used to get very fed up and told me never to play that song again on his jukebox or I was barred...:hihi: I never was, and I always did!

there is a pic of that jukebox here..

http://www.the-york.com/history1.html

bottom of page

now that pic was taken November 1980 and it was a carpeted floor then, I swear to it, red patterned one....like the wallpaper.....at least unless my mind is going bonkers!!!:loopy:

I used to play Ashes to Ashes by Bowie all the time on that jukebox....the landlord, Derek, used to get very fed up and told me never to play that song again on his jukebox or I was barred...:hihi: I never was, and I always did!

Hmm, from the pic I can see the carpet to the left of where the mosaic is.....but can't see properly what's round the girl's feet.

Now, I wouldn't 100% swear to the mosaic at a definite time, but I'd guess heavily at early 80s....I started going in probably 81, and it's definitely been there and visible during my drinking days....so you've got the Browns (Derek and Pat), then I think briefly their in-laws, then Tony Barlow (& Christine?), Bob & Christine, Dennis and then Scream......so who could have exposed it.....?

Have to think more on this and question old friends and relatives......but it's deffo been in there and open to view at some point between the Browns and Scream....

Trouble with trying to date things like that is a combination of the passage of time and the intake of alcohol....plus, for me, a naturally poor memory for things that aren't important. But I am interested - even if just for my own curiosity - to date this; I still see some old York regulars (and I mean old!) so I'll question them when I get the chance.

Nice pint last night :)

Adeski

But I am interested - even if just for my own curiosity - to date this; I still see some old York regulars (and I mean old!) so I'll question them when I get the chance.

Nice pint last night :)

Adeski

Be interested to know more out of curiosity myself, I can just remember a red/orange carpet thing from the early 80's.....I never went in from about 83 to around 92, as moved away, so it must have been post 83 time...

Which pint were you drinking? All the ales went down very well on the first night, especially Five Rivers and Broadside....

Be interested to know more out of curiosity myself, I can just remember a red/orange carpet thing from the early 80's.....I never went in from about 83 to around 92, as moved away, so it must have been post 83 time...

Which pint were you drinking? All the ales went down very well on the first night, especially Five Rivers and Broadside....

Looking at some earlier posts in the thread, I'm actually having an O'Neill's moment with the tiles......those years all blur into one :)

Yesterday had a quick Five Rivers on way home, later had the Cornish one (can't remember its name!), Broadside and Pedigree. Think I preferred the latter two so far.....but reckon 5 Rivers will be a good one for hotter times.

Hoping to try a pint of York Ghost in the not too distant future, and also crossing fingers that I may see something from Wychwood....but always happy to try different beers and see what they're like.

Ade

Hoping to try a pint of York Ghost in the not too distant future, and also crossing fingers that I may see something from Wychwood....but always happy to try different beers and see what they're like.

Ade

Yes HOBGOBLIN will be on quite soon, and some of the others too, I hope to update the website fully with ales coming as as soon as I can find a window in a day....so far not had any windows for 3 weeks!!!

Scaffolding down already!

Drove past this morning and it looks great from outside.

Going to try and pop in later - fingers crossed.

Yes its better without the scaffolding now....still got ground floor windows to paint on outside though and its raining again....GRRRRRRRR

Hmm, from the pic I can see the carpet to the left of where the mosaic is.....but can't see properly what's round the girl's feet.

Adeski

In the picture with the girl, I can see what I think is quite plainly two ghosts - one appearing in a corner of the picture over her head and another lurking under the stool to her right .... oh and I think I can see Elvis on the Jukebox too ...

Hmmmm I must pop in sometime soon for a pint and inspection and see how the paranormal hairs on my neck stand up :-)

In the picture with the girl, I can see what I think is quite plainly two ghosts - one appearing in a corner of the picture over her head and another lurking under the stool to her right .... oh and I think I can see Elvis on the Jukebox too ...

Hmmmm I must pop in sometime soon for a pint and inspection and see how the paranormal hairs on my neck stand up :-)

The Haunted realm identified a few ghosts living upstairs on the 2nd floor.....apparently there were 'orbs' coming out of many of the walls....I have yet to see the video they made of this but there lots of pix on their web site, link is on my York home page still I think

Can you improve the house wine. The white was undrinkable, tasting of cider....really truly vile. I didn't think it possible to serve a drink worse than Its A Scream, but...

We aren't sure about the lilac, it really isn't very relaxing.

Sorry to be negative, you are doing a great thing.

Is your Sunday lunch really £2.50?

Good luck with the pub.

Archived