The York, Broomhill, now open....Under New Management...

goldenfleece

I have been quite excited about the refurb/restoration of the York. Mainly because I get annoyed at the way people rip the soul out of old pubs. I just prefer a reasonably comfortable pub with a more trad feel. I'm not some kind of throwback either!

Whilst doing the refurb, you made much of the fact that this wasn't such a 'niche' pub and you made much of the fact that you were horrified by the bastardisation of a nice building with the original bits having been covered up. I suppose I expected the refurb to be sympathetic to the period of the building.

As I said in an earlier post, the York will continue to evolve over the coming weeks, its not just staying as it is......a lot more decor to be added, paintings, chalkboards, other traditional elements, which will break up the huge expanse of purple we have.....so do expect it to be going further towards 'traditional' rather than 'funky'....what we have is a skeleton to work with and fill in all the bits as we grow and develop......

I really wanted to expose and restore the 1850 fireplaces, (3 on the ground floor) which were boarded and plastered over back in the 1970's, but time and budget did not allow us to do this at this stage....but its on my list for the future......

Are you opening from 12 on sundays, i tried to pop in but the pub looked shut. however i ended up in the tavern and a few of my friends also wondered what had happened today. Apologies if i have got this wrong and your not open on sunday lunches. As for the purple walls im sure they will look a bit better once the extra touches are applied. good luck broomhill needs a good alternative pub!!!!

Got to say I wasn't thrilled by the lilac colours either, but the new York is a bit like viewing an empty house......neither look good at first glance, but once they're a bit 'lived-in' they'll feel like home.

I'd guess of all the refurb work, a new colour paint will actually be the least of problems if it's ever decided it's necessary; but the feel of the place is more important, and that comes from the staff, who seem to have a pretty good attitude so far.

Of course, it's naive of anyone to expect the York will be the York of the 80s....it needs to be the York of the now, which is different in many ways to what it was, but still retaining (or reclaiming!) the values and standards that people want to make it a pub that they feel is theirs.

Ade

Are you opening from 12 on sundays, i tried to pop in but the pub looked shut. however i ended up in the tavern and a few of my friends also wondered what had happened today. Apologies if i have got this wrong and your not open on sunday lunches. As for the purple walls im sure they will look a bit better once the extra touches are applied. good luck broomhill needs a good alternative pub!!!!

We will be open for Sunday food ASAP, the kitchens still need to be sorted as they were left in a dreadful and totally unusable state by Scream Pubs. We will be opening on Sunday day times as soon as we have the kitchens sorted, a few weeks...I will announce on the Forum when this will happen.

Yeah taking on board comments about the paint. However, if it was WAS all Magnolia or something very neutral I guess no one would say anything at all as it would not be noticed, and I think I would rather have a reaction to a colour than nothing, if you see what mean .You could say that this was an advanced subconscious promotional technique...or you could just say it was purple:hihi:

Got to say I wasn't thrilled by the lilac colours either, but the new York is a bit like viewing an empty house......neither look good at first glance, but once they're a bit 'lived-in' they'll feel like home.

I'd guess of all the refurb work, a new colour paint will actually be the least of problems if it's ever decided it's necessary; but the feel of the place is more important, and that comes from the staff, who seem to have a pretty good attitude so far.

Of course, it's naive of anyone to expect the York will be the York of the 80s....it needs to be the York of the now, which is different in many ways to what it was, but still retaining (or reclaiming!) the values and standards that people want to make it a pub that they feel is theirs.

Ade

We have some potted plants around now and a few extra things, and more decor to come....any new pub refurb needs time to become 'lived' in, like a house.......

The York of the 80's? I must admit I would LOVE to re create this, and seriously considered it, even down to the red patterned wallpaper and lace curtains on the windows!!! However, then it would resemble an 80's 'theme pub' and I really don't think that would work because it might look very tacky. But anyone who feels strongly about this, comment away...

We are reviewing comments about the purple walls......we may change the front room areas to a more neutral 'traditional' colour and leave the remainder of the Pub as it is....this is only a possibility, but again, comment away.....unlike many pubs, who really probably have no real say over what their Pub Company plonks on them as a 'refurb', we have total control over the interior development.

Oh, by the way, your bar staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, it is rare you meet such a fantastic team and really behind you lot. I know the Ball in Crookes has a really good team and it always makes going to a pub such a pleasure.

Most kind of you to say so....I do believe in first class customer service, there is simply no excuse for rude and unhelpful staff.....

How is this working then Jason, are you now in residence at the York for the time being and just DJing at the Dove on a weekend?

Its all a bit complicated actually.....and come to think of it even I don't understand it....I seem to be all over the place and have to think twice sometimes to work out where I am!!!......DJing at Dove yes, not missing that, but still working on the York getting it looking right most other times.....and still tons of work to do upstairs too.....coming or going? No idea.......:D

I gotta say i'm a little disappointed by the lager selection, in that it's alot worse than the York. From what I remember you only had Carling and Becks on tap and the Carling wasn't tasting great. You should get some nicer beers on tap and if you pride yourself on having obscure ales why not do the same with lagers? Seemed a little empty in there when I went, maybe it's a sign that people in Broomhill aren't massive ale drinkers. I'd definitly be tempted back if you had some nice lager on tap but otherwise I don't see how you can compete with the other pubs in broomhill...

Archived