Paul Scrivens changes his mind on airport enquiry - there won't be one

Anna K

Which idiot changed the title of this thread to the opposite of what it should be?

It now reads:

"There will be an enquiry about the airport after all"

MOD: Changed to reflect original meaning.

One of the most frustrating things about SF is the number of people who make assertions in direct contradiction of the facts and the history of particular issues. It’s a pity they are determined to demonstrate a triumph for prejudice over knowledge.

In fact, it’s more than frustrating…..it’s bloody annoying, because some of us with long memories have better things to do than attempt to correct every bit of drivel that appears.

So, for the record, the decisions about the development of Sheffield Airport and the contract terms made with the Airport’s private developers were made by the Sheffield Development Corporation (SDC).

In the mid-1980s, Sheffield Chamber of Commerce and Sheffield City Council commissioned Coopers and Lybrand (now PWC) to research and make recommendations on the economic regeneration strategy for the city and, in particular, the development of the Lower Don Valley (LDV) in the light of the loss of 50,000+ jobs in steel and engineering between 1979 and 1984 and the huge amount of derelict industrial land in LDV as a result of the structural changes.

Interestingly, and always forgotten, is that the C&L study identified ‘sport and leisure’ as a significant growth industry for the future and one in which the city should secure investment. This was the real driver for investment in new sports and leisure facilities, for which the World Student Games became an opening/launch event.

The C&L study also recommended the establishment of a joint-venture between the Chamber of Commerce (and other private sector economic players) and the City Council. Both agreed to support this and submitted a proposal to the then (Conservative) Government.

The Government rejected this proposal and insisted on the establishment of an Urban Development Corporation (SDC eventually established in 1988) for LDV and the Government made the appointments to its Board of Directors, including the appointment of the Chair (Hugh Sykes).

SDC, as well as receiving £100m+ of government grant and nearly £8m of European Development Funds, also took over the planning responsibilities for the area.

It was SDC which dealt with both the planning issues and the contractual arrangements for the airport.

Following the dissolution of the SDC in 1997, its assets and on-going obligations were parcelled off to various bodies. Those relating to the contract for the airport were passed to Sheffield City Council.

As Blackbeard then reminds me, Sheffield Star then reported on April 30, 2008

http://www.thestar.co.uk/headlines/Airport-closure-considered-just-four.4033314.jp

Conditions agreed between the airport and Sheffield Development Corporation in 1997 said "all reasonable efforts" should be taken to attract airlines and the airport should be maintained for at least 10 years.

Only afterwards could it be closed and redeveloped, with the land being transferred for £1, if the airport was no longer financially viable.”

and

Comments were made in a draft 'Memorandum of Understanding' between the council and joint airport owners, Peel and Tinsley Park Holdings, dated July 30 2001 - when scheduled flights were still operating from Sheffield to Belfast, Dublin and Jersey.

The document said the council should support "maintaining and growing current scheduled operations at SCA during the period leading to the creation of Finningley Airport".

But it adds: "SCC recognises that as soon as Finningley has become established and is offering improved services to the region, then a review will need to take place of operations at SCA.

"It recognises that this review would include all options, including downsizing or closure of SCA. This would be concluded on the basis of the best interests of offering wider benefit to the region."

The report said the "long term future" for aviation in South Yorkshire was through development of Finningley.”

and

The report was drawn up weeks after a meeting of Sheffield Airport Consultative Committee where Mr Horne (Sheffield City Airport’s Managing Director) revealed flights to Belfast averaged 65 per cent full. It was approved by the then Liberal Democrat cabinet.”

I share the concern expressed by Anna K and others about Councillor Scriven’s broken promise of a public inquiry. This appears to be his second major broken promise – after Wisewood/Myers – which have resulted, not because he couldn’t deliver on them if he wanted to, because he’s changed his mind.

However, I am bound to say that I think it was a particularly stupid promise to make.

A public inquiry would be enormously expensive – a vast job creation scheme for lawyers, who must have been rubbing their hands with glee when the promise was made - which would be unlikely to reveal anything of significance beyond what we know already:

• the terms and conditions were agreed by the Sheffield Development Corporation – whether they were good or bad, given the context (remember that the MoD was then still saying that Finningley was going to remain in RAF use), I’m in no position to judge - but we've known for years what they were

• the City Council inherited that agreement in 1997

• in 2001, the City Council was already recognising that – realistically in my view – changes in air travel and the development of Finningley would almost inevitably mean that Sheffield City Airport would not survive.

What else is there to know?

Just what would a public inquiry achieve?

• 2 weeks later...
How about giving them a chance to log on and read the thread first before labelling them as "no shows"?

Not everyone sits at the computer 24-7 waiting to see if they need to respond on something.

On the earlier thread, those demanding an enquiry seemed to be posting rapidly. In any event, I was going to be away from SF for a week, so that would give people plenty of time to respond.

So, where are all those people who were demanding an inquiry just 6 months ago. They were promised one by Councillor Scriven and now he's changed his mind. Why aren't they jumping up and down now?

I think you will find I posted once on the enquiry issue after the council changed its mind over an enquiry. I shouldn't be surprised that they changed their minds as all these people pee in the same pot and are only really interested in number one. If they really cared about the people of Sheffield they would have an enquiry so that we know all the ins and outs of the airport, how much money the City has lost by selling it off cheaply, why they let them run the airport down so that people and airlines would not use it. Lets face it you wouldn't go swimming to a pool if there was no water in it would you, so airlines are not going to use an airport when the owner is closing it down and removing services.

I think you will find I posted once on the enquiry issue after the council changed its mind over an enquiry. I shouldn't be surprised that they changed their minds as all these people pee in the same pot and are only really interested in number one. If they really cared about the people of Sheffield they would have an enquiry so that we know all the ins and outs of the airport, how much money the City has lost by selling it off cheaply, why they let them run the airport down so that people and airlines would not use it. Lets face it you wouldn't go swimming to a pool if there was no water in it would you, so airlines are not going to use an airport when the owner is closing it down and removing services.

I simply don't share your analysis on the realistic prospects for Sheffield Airport to have been successful (other than for mainly non-commercial traffic) in the changing nature of air transport (see my commentary above) - and I write as someone who flies on business regularly (about 15 countries in the last year).

My question is 'why are the SF posters, who were busily demanding an inquiry just 6 months ago, now so silent?'

My main grieveance is that I feel the people of Sheffield have been conned, yes it was never going to be a major hub it simply was not big enough. The point is it was either not entered into with enough planning or that people were just out to make a quick profit. As for demanding an enquiry I am simply saying that we the people of Sheffield were promised one and now they have changed their minds a bit like the Govt saying we will have a referendum then deciding not to. These people are elected on promises and if they do not fulfill their promises then what is the point of voting for a politician.

Archived