The Wicker Station hotel

Originally posted by dishwasher

Isn't Sheffield's oldest pub the Heavygate in Crookes?

Although the Heavygate is an old building (18th Century or earlier), it only became a pub in the 1850's. Before that it was a farmhouse.

Hugh

(down the hill from the Heavygate)

I used to visit a Pub in the wicker in the 60's and there used to be a "Minah bird" that called out "Wheres Audry".... And I remember a "St Bernard dog" that lived there...Was this the same pub?.

• 6 years later...
I used to live in the Station Hotel by the Wicker arches in the early 80's. What has happened to all the pubs. Oh my god! just recently found out that is is now a home for refugees. I have lotsof wonderful memories of the Wicker.

Is there anyone else on here that lived in a pub in the Wicker

The Station Hotel as a special memory for me,my younger brother had his wedding reception there in the upstairs room,if you needed a drink you went downstairs to the bar,in a cage hanging at the end of the bar was a Myna bird,and it could talk,but all you could get out of it was Where,s AUDREYany memories of that

was the station at the end of the wicker ? i used to go in there quite a lot in the 80s a lot of us used to doi the wicker pub crawl at least once a month

what was the name of the pub round the corner at the start of the wicker all i know now its a guest house

riverside court i think it is now called, brown cow, cucumber club (had another earlier name), hole in the wall, tap and spiel (had another earlier name), big gun, east house. all wicker and nearby pubs i remember.

I used to live in the Station Hotel by the Wicker arches in the early 80's. What has happened to all the pubs. Oh my god! just recently found out that is is now a home for refugees. I have lotsof wonderful memories of the Wicker.

Is there anyone else on here that lived in a pub in the Wicker

All the boozers down wicker were great they had good discos turns talent nights usually some trouble but all in all a great place to be always ended up in a strange place next morning :hihi:

there are 2 pubs vying for that acloade one is the queens head in pond street the other is the nailmakers on backmoor rd at gleadless, well the queens head head wa buit before the nailmakers but started life out as a possible laundry for the manor castle, but the nailmakers was always apub being run my nailmakers who occupied the site as for the heavyvgate thats a relatively modern pub

• 2 months later...

The Wicker Station Hotel.

Station Hotel – Tetley

When I worked on Walker Street at Wigfall’s 70-71 ish, I and some work mates often went into the Station Hotel at dinner times. We would first buy a sarnie from the nearby Hardy’s baker shop (did a supa dupa bacon and egg), then we’d go in the Station Hotel for a pint and a cuppla frames of snooker. Some of my colleaugues were Pete Broomhead, Alan Statham, Dave Renshaw, Little Kevin, Clive (sooty) and Ollie.

The landlord was called Ted and was a quiet man, his missus Margaret? Whose legs were always bandaged up, probably to hide very close veins, had a reight gob on her. She always shouted at ted and it still remains a mystery that he never strangled her.

I also recall a well dressed old man who used to sit in the snooker room filling in his Times crossword. He drank Barley wine, and once told us he brewed his own Barley wine at home. Like us, he preferred the snooker room door closed so we wouldn’t have to hear the fog horn landlady.