Volunteering Rant!

I have offered my services to the Sheffield Childrens Hospital and been rejected because I am 3 months too young! I am appauled!

I bet the "Volunteering coordinator" didn't read past the first line of my long email...

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you to offer my sevices as a volunteer. I am a 16 year old student....

Grr!

So much for encouraging those who want to help.... :cry:

How come I was allowed to volunteer at a Primary school then? I was 15 when I did that.

And DB, she didn't say a word about it being to do with Insurance policies. She stated that she couldn't take me on because I was not 17 years of age.

I'll forward you the email.

just ask them why you need to be 17 Caprice.

Have done. Doubt I'll get a reply. I said that it was a shame young volunteers weren't encouraged to help out in projects they feel passionately about.

:cry:

Does anyone else have any volunteering ideas that would be relevant to me?

I want to do something with English....teaching...that sort of field. I have taught in a Primary school before, but I also want to show that I am adaptable and can teach in different situations and environments.

There's an asylum seekers help organisation in Sheffield, can't remember the name but it's run by Jim Steinke. I'm sure they'd love to have people helping out with English teaching. Do a search on google for Jim's name and I'm sure you'll get some hits giving the name of the association and contact numbers.

Thanks to maxt and Blondee for some help and ideas!

I have thought of helping with asylum seekers, but feel that I would be a little out of my depth because I don't know any of their first language.

I could possibly help French people who are coming to Sheffield. (Having done the GCSE and starting the A level) But I don't think there's that much of a demand really!

I'm taking a look at the VAS site right now. Will post if I find anything suitable. Thanks!

Archived