Sheffield Forum - Back to the seventies

Guest sibon

I've just been to the children's hospital with my cousin... he broke his wrist, playing with a set of them.

No wonder folks're calling for a ban!

My parents won't let me have them - they say I'm too accident-prone.....(???) :hihi:

It's the start of a slippery slope....

They'll be banning conkers next, then smoking..... Then they'll start saying what we can and can't eat in school... Like Marmite, tomato ketchup, even ho many sugars we can have in our tea!!!!

we as a family got back to Britain in 1978 after four years in the US.

by comparison, the place was a total ****hole. No supermarkets, and a distinct lack of stuff like fresh fruit and vegetables in the shops. It was almost like the difference between Britain and the Soviet Union in the 1980s. I think it was about 10 years before I saw an actual corn on the cob as opposed to a Green Giant tin of the stuff. There were no restaraunts really in Britain, certainly not outside London. By the 1970s, just about all the kinds of world cuisine British people are now familiar with were freely available even in small American cities, but totally unkown in their British equivalents.

Traffic was light and there were hardly any cars. Next to nobody actuallly owned one in those days, whereas in the US at that time, many families had two or even more. Some people didn't even have a telephone, while everyone in the US had had a telephone in their house or apartment for twenty years by that stage. Most middle class families in the US had dishwashers by the mid 70s - they didn't really start to make an appearance here until the 90s.

I think many younger people may not realise just how big the gulf in living standards between at least the US-Canada and Europe was thirty years ago. It hit you as soon as you landed at the airport. Since then, the gap has narrowed so much as to be barely discernible. The US hasn't fallen away or declined ; it's just that Europe has caught up from a much lower base.

My daughters school is stopping giving cookery lessons. Even as they finish the present term, they are having to take "instant this" and "instant that". In a few years time nobody will know where to start preparing a meal from scratch, nutritious or not, unless their mothers teach them now. Asking for trouble in my opinion.....

Archived