Drinks Shop On Stubbin Lane, Firth Park

• 4 weeks later...

We called it the Vimto shop - I can't remember why. Used to have a cigarette machine outside! (although it's proper name may well have been the mikado - rings a bell). Used to get fruit salads and black jacks and licorice shoe laces from it.

I remember the fishing shop, baldwins and purcells being on the same block.

We called it the Vimto shop - I can't remember why. Used to have a cigarette machine outside! (although it's proper name may well have been the mikado - rings a bell). Used to get fruit salads and black jacks and licorice shoe laces from it.

Vimto was one of the (hot or cold) non-alcoholic drinks that were sold there - also orange, peppermint, Horlicks, Bovril etc. and of course sarsparilla. Jack Lee's drinks shop in Hillsborough actually had beer pumps that dispensed his home-brewed sarsparilla in pints and half-pints, and as youngsters aged 14 or 15 we would prop up the bar with pints of sass. A pity these shops don't exist any more

Yes it was indeed the Mikado.By the way,all you sarsparilla fans. After years of searching I finally found a shop that sells a version of it.Go to the Wicker herbal and health food shop near the central library.They sell sarsparilla cordial.

• 1 month later...

drink shop on stubbin lane during 40-50 owend by two sisters name of mycroft or something like mr purcel was next door worked as a cobbler then moved in to pegrams grocers shop next door but one and opened up with ladies assesory is shop ex cobblers turned in to fishing tackle next door was s

ex firth pak lad on stubbin lave for 40 yearsemores toy shop and the last shop on the block was co-op dress shop

Ex firth park lad lived on stubbin lane 40 years

drink shop on stubbin lane during 40-50 owend by two sisters name of mycroft or something like mr purcel was next door worked as a cobbler then moved in to pegrams grocers shop next door but one and opened up with ladies assesory His shop ex cobblers turned in to fishing tackle shop next door was a toy shop mrs semores the last shop on the block for a number of years was co-op dress shop

Ex firth park lad lived on stubbin lane 40 years now at Woodhouse any more about Firth Park History let me know I will try to help

Archived