Are men and women able to be just friends?

All my life I have preferred friends of the opposite sex. As a kid all the girls used to bully me, I think they were jealous of my relationship and ability to get on with the lads. Don't get me wrong I'm not a tom boy, I just preferred their way of being (non bitchy etc).

As I got older, and had boyfriends, they became jealous of the relationship also, thinking that the reason I got on so well with the other guys was they had an ulterior motive.

Sadly most men think that opposite sexes cannot be good mates unless there is a hidden agenda, or the opposite sex is homosexual.

All my life I have preferred friends of the opposite sex. As a kid all the girls used to bully me, I think they were jealous of my relationship and ability to get on with the lads. Don't get me wrong I'm not a tom boy, I just preferred their way of being (non bitchy etc).

As I got older, and had boyfriends, they became jealous of the relationship also, thinking that the reason I got on so well with the other guys was they had an ulterior motive.

Sadly most men think that opposite sexes cannot be good mates unless there is a hidden agenda, or the opposite sex is homosexual.

I have to say, I've never understood this 'getting on better with men' thing. I've always had loads of girlfriends and whilst I love the company of men, my deepest and most meaningful friendships are with women, other than Mr S of course.

I was bullied by the girls to the point of not wanting to trust anyone. The lads backed me up and treat me like one of them, I guess it just made me trust them more than anyone else.

My best mate left Doncaster some years ago, and we've lost touch. I've no idea where he is but he helped me through some serious stuff and I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for him

I was bullied by the girls to the point of not wanting to trust anyone. The lads backed me up and treat me like one of them, I guess it just made me trust them more than anyone else.

My best mate left Doncaster some years ago, and we've lost touch. I've no idea where he is but he helped me through some serious stuff and I don't know where I'd be if it wasn't for him

When I was a teenager all my best mates were male. I only had one brother so was used to male company. People always thought there was an ulterior motive but they were just mates. Like you I couldn't identify with the bitchiness and small talk of women. We were a very diverse group with people from all walks of life. My favourite memory was being told by one of the lads that another member of the group, who had moved to Germany with his wife, was back in Sheffield on a visit and he asked if we were having a lads night out to which I was invited. I was very chuffed that I was seen as one of the lads.

You poor thing. I agree girls can be such bitches, I was always lucky in that I always had a hard core group of female friends, despite bullying from both sexes.

I had loads of racial abuse from boys at school, so maybe that coloured (no pun intended) my view of the male sex. However, that said, I was also on the receiving end of a lot of cattiness and bitchiness from girls, largely due to the fact that I made Keira Knightly look overweight and wasn't pretty or trendy.:(

I'd hardly have any friends if I didn't have male friends - my most trusted person is male - I tell him anything, I don't have a female friend (as yet) who comes close to him. And, there's never been any funny business either.

Archived