Are men and women able to be just friends?

May seem like a silly question, but are men and women able to be just friends? Or is there always one person wanting more?

For me No always had the attitude of either all or none

Alot of people hold on to hope and holding onto hope is like standing on the top of a hill waiting for roast duck to fly in your mouth

Doesn't happen

• 2 years later...

I have the opposite problem.

I've tried to be "just friends" with a few different women, but sooner or later they start to become suggestive.

It starts very subtly, they'll seem like they are taking an interest in me and my family life - and say things like...

"how's the wife? how's the kids?" all harmless stuff.

Then...

"what are you going to buy your wife for her birthday/christmas?"

"where do you take your wife when you go out?"

"what kind of things does your wife like?" (mainly a food or clothes question I hasten to add!).

and then...

"oh, I've never been to that place - I've heard all about it - I'd love to go but I've no-one to go with".

On one occasion I said, "let's do that next time we go out". And we did.

Then, after a few glasses of wine, she starts stroking the stem of the glass and fiddling with her earrings. I didn't realise at the time, but this means something apparently.

The conversation then got around to..

"would you rather be here with your wife?"

and I said, "that's an odd question to ask isn't it? I'm here with you as a friend".

And she says...

"only a friend?

and I say, "well, yes, that's what we are isn't it?"

and she says, "at the moment yes, but...well, who knows... you're a very attractive man".

At that point I fetched the waiter over and asked for the bill.

"I think I had better take you home now". I said. "You've probably had a little too much".

She just laughed and said she was only joking with me - but I had to stop seeing her as a friend because it was obvious she expected more than that.

And this has happened to me on more than one occasion.

So, it's not just us men I think, who find it difficult to remain "just friends".

(Pity really, 'cos I do fancy her I have to admit!)

For me No always had the attitude of either all or none

Alot of people hold on to hope and holding onto hope is like standing on the top of a hill waiting for roast duck to fly in your mouth

Doesn't happen

funny thing that...

I was stood at the top of East Bank Road the other day and a roast duck flew into my mouth. It wouldn't have been so bad but it came without any hoi sin sauce, cucumber or pancakes.

Yes.....my late dad always said that all his best friends in life had been women and he was the sort of man who was completely faithful....all my best friends have been and still are men and having lost my husband after 13 years of marriage I have been in a relationship for the past 12 and in both cases been absolutely faithful.

Yes of course.. i have a lot of friends both Male and Female we talk about all sorts ,, i get advice on my car , plumbing, and men stuff from the men and advice on men from my girlfriends lol, :)

If a man had said that he gets advice about the car and plumbing only from men he would have been accused of being sexist.:D

Archived