Are men and women able to be just friends?

I have the opposite problem.

I've tried to be "just friends" with a few different women, but sooner or later they start to become suggestive.

It starts very subtly, they'll seem like they are taking an interest in me and my family life - and say things like...

"how's the wife? how's the kids?" all harmless stuff.

Then...

"what are you going to buy your wife for her birthday/christmas?"

"where do you take your wife when you go out?"

"what kind of things does your wife like?" (mainly a food or clothes question I hasten to add!).

and then...

"oh, I've never been to that place - I've heard all about it - I'd love to go but I've no-one to go with".

On one occasion I said, "let's do that next time we go out". And we did.

Then, after a few glasses of wine, she starts stroking the stem of the glass and fiddling with her earrings. I didn't realise at the time, but this means something apparently.

The conversation then got around to..

"would you rather be here with your wife?"

and I said, "that's an odd question to ask isn't it? I'm here with you as a friend".

And she says...

"only a friend?

and I say, "well, yes, that's what we are isn't it?"

and she says, "at the moment yes, but...well, who knows... you're a very attractive man".

At that point I fetched the waiter over and asked for the bill.

"I think I had better take you home now". I said. "You've probably had a little too much".

She just laughed and said she was only joking with me - but I had to stop seeing her as a friend because it was obvious she expected more than that.

And this has happened to me on more than one occasion.

So, it's not just us men I think, who find it difficult to remain "just friends".

(Pity really, 'cos I do fancy her I have to admit!)

Do you write for Mills and Boone and did you tell the missus you took a woman out for a meal?:hihi:

• 4 weeks later...

I know. I still say No, man/woman friendship does not work. It's ok when you are little innocent boys and girls, after that it,s complicated. The point at which you get emotionally attached is not drawn in a bright red color for all to see. This is true for other things as well such as alcohol, recreational drugs etc. It's hard to remember when that occational bottle of wine becomes a regular feature on your weekly shopping list. We all tell ourselves we can quit anytime. Woman and men's bodies are made differently. When you put them together frequently, certain feelings are aroused even without us being aware of them. Can you play with fire in your laps and not be burn't. We have the highest number of teenage pregnancies, one theory I have as contributing to this is the commonly accepted habit of our girls /boys hugging , kissing and sitting on each other's laps at bus stops for long periods. Soon or later dormant inner feelings are aroused and nature takes its course, and between the two young ones, someone ends up very very pregnant. their life is changed for ever.

Have you not heard it being said that those who have succesfull marriages are those who start out being best friends? When you are married man, you can't have another woman as a friend. When you go through a challenge with your wife, the woman friend will get to hear it and naturally she will give you impression she's the one who "understands you". This will confuse you rather than help you. You will be wondering why the two just can't switch places.

I know. I still say No, man/woman friendship does not work. It's ok when you are little innocent boys and girls, after that it,s complicated. The point at which you get emotionally attached is not drawn in a bright red color for all to see. This is true for other things as well such as alcohol, recreational drugs etc. It's hard to remember when that occational bottle of wine becomes a regular feature on your weekly shopping list. We all tell ourselves we can quit anytime. Woman and men's bodies are made differently. When you put them together frequently, certain feelings are aroused even without us being aware of them. Can you play with fire in your laps and not be burn't. We have the highest number of teenage pregnancies, one theory I have as contributing to this is the commonly accepted habit of our girls /boys hugging , kissing and sitting on each other's laps at bus stops for long periods. Soon or later dormant inner feelings are aroused and nature takes its course, and between the two young ones, someone ends up very very pregnant. their life is changed for ever.

Have you not heard it being said that those who have succesfull marriages are those who start out being best friends? When you are married man, you can't have another woman as a friend. When you go through a challenge with your wife, the woman friend will get to hear it and naturally she will give you impression she's the one who "understands you". This will confuse you rather than help you. You will be wondering why the two just can't switch places.

I never knew you could get pregnant by sitting on someone's lap at a bus stop for long periods. Why did my parents never tell me this?

This post gets the (always hotly contested) Most Nonsensical Gender-Related Argument Prize on SF today. Congratulations.

Archived