Does anyone remember "Galtee More" hauling the "Master Cutler"

my uncle ken was the head waiter on the master cutler for a lot of yrs , the train went down to london every morning between 7/8 am , sat all lday whilst about 5 pm , and then came back,once his work was done on arriving in london he used to collect all the mags/n/papers and sit and do all the competitions,you name it he won it, i know in 1962 he won a fabulous bedroom suite,and loads of other things.:clap:

When I was train spotting we used to live at Owlerton and on the Cross.

We used to go by the 'Five Arches' but not many namers mostly B1 s

But I remember 'The Master Cutler'.which did not run on this line

We would sometimes go down by Blast Lane and get the namers .

I wonder how many people know about the 'Mallard'.

It boggles the mind to think of a steam engine doing over 200 km per hour.

A speed of 126 Miles per hour this was in 1938.

I live in Canada now but whenever I am back in the old sod I try and make a visit to York to pay homage to that world beater 'Mallard'.

As Dylan would say "Alas no longer whinnying with us"

I took my grandson to the railway museum last week, in the area where they have a display of artifacts are a pair of Master Cutler headplates, a number of other items also conected to Sheffield. Well worth a visit, and amazingly in this day and age, it's free!

Sweetdexter..........Mallard, I was really fortunate to be able to climb up into the cab of this mighty machine in the late 50's. Only thing was it was stone cold in the Doncaster sheds and off duty but still was a magical experience to "cab" the Mallard. Had the badge on the side relating to the speed record.

Took my kids to York when we came over from NZ and she looked brand new. I believe the driving wheels were 6'2'' in diameter? It's a wonder we didn't get our bums kicked or worse sneaking about those sheds but it was pretty common at the time.

Archived