The Playhouse -Stirrings in Sheffield

Dorothy Vernon at one time (I think) taught at Chaucer School. Correct me if I am wrong. She was married to Colin George, original director of Stirrings. The Nellie Dean song still makes me laugh. I don't think Fanny Carby (married to Roderick Horne) was quite as good in the part when it was staged at the Crucible. I still have the LP from the Crucible production.

• 1 year later...

There will be a production of Stirrings in Tideswell, the Peak District village in Derbyshire, (only a short drive from Sheffield) later this year, staged in the magnificent Tideswell Parish Church ('The Cathedral of the Peak'). More details soon, either here or from Tideswell Theatre on Facebook.

• 1 year later...

I saw the original Stirrings in 1966, the year before I left for Canada. I was particularly interested as (with two other local folkies) I was involved in publishing a collection of local songs by the museum, which included several of the ones used in the play. Still somewhere have the EP (which has I think only one of the Stirrings songs on it).

I saw the original Stirrings in 1966, the year before I left for Canada. I was particularly interested as (with two other local folkies) I was involved in publishing a collection of local songs by the museum, which included several of the ones used in the play. Still somewhere have the EP (which has I think only one of the Stirrings songs on it).

Was the book in a yellow cover. Picture of a grinder on the front ? If so I still have one somewhere.

• 1 year later...

The Denys Edward Players will be performing this wonderful play in celebration of the 50th anniversary since the first Playhouse production, at the Library Theatre, Tudor Square, from 2 - 6th August 2016, Tuesday to Saturday, with a Saturday matinee.

Tickets £10 and £9 concessions (concessions Tues, Saturday evening and matinee only).

For tickets please telephone 07580 470 900

Online booking and further details available from

http://www.denysedwardsplayers.org/#!current/cee5

• 2 years later...

I saw the first production at the Playhouse and the later production at the Crucible. I was one of the lucky kids who got to be mentored by Colin George. We last spoke in 2005. We talked about my doing the show in Canada. I live very close to Hamilton which is the major steel city in Canada with a very strong Union history. I have a website in which you might be interested: www.stirringsinsheffield.com

Edited by michaelnewsome