The Playhouse -Stirrings in Sheffield

• 3 weeks later...

The first stage play i saw was at a small theatre up a lane at the bottom of broard lane, [anyone recall it]Idid enjoy it , it was NIGHT MUST FALL written by a welsh writer, cant remember his name. this would be about 1944 so it will have to be an oldie. CHEERS aRTHUR

I think you are talking about the Playhouse. I'm sure it was on Townhead Street which connects to Broad Lane. The entrance was up an alley off Townhead street I think, (it was along time ago when I last went).

The play you refer to was by Emlyn Williams. Here is a link to the Movie which followed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029310/

The first stage play i saw was at a small theatre up a lane at the bottom of broard lane, [anyone recall it]Idid enjoy it , it was NIGHT MUST FALL written by a welsh writer, cant remember his name. this would be about 1944 so it will have to be an oldie. CHEERS aRTHUR

Hi Arthur,

Night Must Fall was a 1938 production at the Playhouse. That is the date given in a book published in 1959 about the Sheffield Company.. it was a long time ago of course, but could that fit with your memories?

There are four pictures of the Playhouse on my web-site, if you follow my Link below. http://theatrical-mcgoohan.mysite.orange.co.uk/page1.html, two of the interior in 1945, and one of the frontage around 1960.

:)

• 9 months later...

I saw Stirrings in Sheffield during the 60s. I believe David Bradley (Angus Filch in Harry Potter - the caretaker of Hogwarts) was one of the leading actors in it but when I have searched google it says he didn't become an actor until 1971 can you cast any light on this?

I thought Stirrings in Sheffield was a brilliant production

Arthur - Night Must Fall comes from the pen of Emlyn Williams.

• 1 year later...

I'm the great, great, grandson of William Broadhead, the subject of 'The Stirrings in Sheffield on a Saturday Night'. Quite a character, my Gran has a very impressive inkwell with two rams horns attached that was presented to him all those years ago. He meant well, just got a bit zealous. I have seen the play, which, ironically was first staged in Stoke on Trent, and have a copy of the play.

DaveB1968, Did you ever get hold of a copy of a Victorian novel by Charles Reade called "Put Yourself in His Place"? It was based on the outrages. I must say that. having been written when it was, and by an outsider, it didn't give a very sympathetic view of Bill Broadhead. I have always been surprised that the story, with a more understanding study of Broadhead, wasn't taken up in more recent times and turned into a novel or a film.

Many years ago, when I was studying the outrages, I met Broadhead's grandson --he lived somewhere near Little London Lane at Norton.